Music notation Facebook page

Recommendations, opinions, and reviews of books and sites.
jrethorst

Music notation Facebook page

Post by jrethorst »

Calls itself Music Engraving Tips:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398324 ... 0693561874

They're doing a poll on most popular programs. Results to date:
engraving.JPG
engraving.JPG (76.95 KiB) Viewed 44418 times
John Rethorst
Ralph L. Bowers jr.

Re: Music notation Facebook page

Post by Ralph L. Bowers jr. »

I've wondered why they did not have a "Changed from Sibelius to Finale," pretty skewed toward Sibelius.
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

Well, who has done that? And looking at the variety of answers, I suspect it’s an open-ended question so people can fill in whatever answer they want and they are tabulated. Correct me if I’m wrong; I won’t touch FB with a 10-foot pole.
Knut

Post by Knut »

I switched from Finale to Sibelius, and the back again to Finale after 2 years of Sibelius usage, so I guess that qualifies me for both.
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

This is misleading -- it doesn't talk about the most important part about notation: QUALITY OF OUTPUT. It doesn't matter if the bandwagon uses Finale or Sibelius. Does it look good?
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

DatOrganistTho wrote:This is misleading -- it doesn't talk about the most important part about notation: QUALITY OF OUTPUT. It doesn't matter if the bandwagon uses Finale or Sibelius. Does it look good?
I think you are partially right, but if people really answer the survey based on the original criteria--which do you use for professional work--then an aspect of "looking good" is implied. I'm not saying that everyone who responded to the survey really do use their software of choice professionally, or even that what they create "looks good". I imagine there are many individuals who responded as user-enthusiasts. I'm just saying that that isn't the point of the survey. Whether they can make their work "look good" using their preferred software is somewhat a personal judgment and perhaps only skin deep. I believe that each of the programs, in the hands of a capable user, can be used to engrave music that "looks good". Naturally, not everyone is at that level.

I think a greater take-away from the survey are the verbal responses in the comments. I find them fascinating! You really get a sense of who the experienced power users are and those who really are just on the bandwagon.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

tisimst wrote:
DatOrganistTho wrote:This is misleading -- it doesn't talk about the most important part about notation: QUALITY OF OUTPUT. It doesn't matter if the bandwagon uses Finale or Sibelius. Does it look good?
I think you are partially right, but if people really answer the survey based on the original criteria--which do you use for professional work--then an aspect of "looking good" is implied. I'm not saying that everyone who responded to the survey really do use their software of choice professionally, or even that what they create "looks good". I imagine there are many individuals who responded as user-enthusiasts. I'm just saying that that isn't the point of the survey. Whether they can make their work "look good" using their preferred software is somewhat a personal judgment and perhaps only skin deep. I believe that each of the programs, in the hands of a capable user, can be used to engrave music that "looks good". Naturally, not everyone is at that level.

I think a greater take-away from the survey are the verbal responses in the comments. I find them fascinating! You really get a sense of who the experienced power users are and those who really are just on the bandwagon.
Your point is well taken! ;) I perhaps should have mentioned I was only half-serious and tongue-in-cheek. :)
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
riju77

Post by riju77 »

Your page is a symphony of musical enlightenment! The way you decipher notes, unravel compositions, and bring the language of music to life is truly captivating. Each post harmoniously blends knowledge and passion, creating a crescendo of understanding for enthusiasts like me. Thank you for orchestrating this platform—where melody meets education in perfect harmony! instaup
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

riju77 wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 09:22 Your page is a symphony of musical enlightenment! The way you decipher notes, unravel compositions, and bring the language of music to life is truly captivating. Each post harmoniously blends knowledge and passion, creating a crescendo of understanding for enthusiasts like me. Thank you for orchestrating this platform—where melody meets education in perfect harmony! instaup
Automatic nonsense replies done by ChatGPT will be removed and these users blocked. Pay attention, you have been warned.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

I was a member of that group for a short time, but dropped after seeing the "professional" output of its members.
Composer and engraver