Behind Bars

Recommendations, opinions, and reviews of books and sites.
Ron

Behind Bars

Post by Ron »

The book I turn to when I have a question about engraving is Elaine Gould's "Behind Bars: The Definitive Guide to music Notation." (Faber Music Ltd) First published in 2011 it is certainly the most recent authoritative book on the subject. I've encountered quibbles with some of Gould's pronouncements on other forums, but, on the whole, I think any serious composer or engraver needs to have this book handy.
OCTO

Hals über Kopf

Post by OCTO »

https://www.edition-peters.de/cms/deuts ... id=EP72478

Yes, it is the top class book - must have!

Ther is German version: Hals über Kopf (funny translation) by Peters.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Vaughan

Re: Behind Bars

Post by Vaughan »

I agree that this book belongs in the library of music engravers. There are things one might disagree with but on the whole it's definitive.
That's a clever German title! Translating word puns is difficult and that's a good solution. You know the double entendre in the English title?
Ron

Post by Ron »

Yes, I am well aware of the double entendre of the title of Elaine Gould's book. In fact, when I first did a Google search of it I found a book called "Behind Bars" by Ron Brown. Not only did I not remember writing this book (my memory is pretty bad), but it is about the history of jails in Ontario.
Attachments
Behind_Bars.jpg
Behind_Bars.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 14019 times
Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

That is really funny and also quite impressive! I hope I didn't insult you! :x
Ron

Post by Ron »

Not at all. 8-)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

English version of the title is so funny/clever and so is the German too!!
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

What do you think they'll call the French translation? :)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Sorry, but I think the title is incongruous and that it is even worse in the German. To me it sounds like something the publisher came up with to be "appealing". (A prison is appealing? Or maybe they are referring to a bartender?) And why? Who do they think the audience is for this book?

Anyway, I am going to buy the book because everyone seems to think so highly of it, but certainly not for the title.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:Anyway, I am going to buy the book because everyone seems to think so highly of it, but certainly not for the title.
I am definitely interested in your opinion about it!