Posting non-PD music

News about Notat.io. Comments and suggestions for the site.
DatOrganistTho

Re: Posting non-PD music

Post by DatOrganistTho »

John Ruggero wrote:As a case in point, I wanted to post an excerpt about Arnold Arnstein from an article in the New York TImes Magazine from 1966 concerning the premiere of Barber's Anthony and Cleopatra. I am probably the first person who ever approached them about excerpting the several paragraphs from this longish article and possibly the last. After several months, I am still in a cue waiting for a "quote" on how much they will charge me; maybe they misplaced my request.

For me, this is an example of the unfair use of copyright laws. Articles in news periodicals should have a short copyright period, and the New York Times is no exception. They want to make money on a few paragraphs from an article that is 50 years old! Shame, shame, shame...
I appreciate this. Thanks for sharing this.
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:As a case in point, I wanted to post an excerpt about Arnold Arnstein from an article in the New York TImes Magazine from 1966 concerning the premiere of Barber's Anthony and Cleopatra. I am probably the first person who ever approached them about excerpting the several paragraphs from this longish article and possibly the last. After several months, I am still in a cue waiting for a "quote" on how much they will charge me; maybe they misplaced my request.
I think you can take photo of it and attach it as a picture. Notat.io will be responsible for the material posted here, not the forum member.
You can even post it on a some picture hosting servers like http://postimage.org and make a link.
There is also a text sharing services for free.

So, you can always link to some other services. If there is a problem, it will be removed.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

I'm in general agreement with the posts here; but playing ‘Devil's advocate’ it might be worth mentioning that yesterday the UK daily broadsheet The Independent announced that from the end of March it will cease to publish a print copy and will only be available on-line. Its daily sales have rapidly declined from 400,000 to only 30,000. I understand that The New York Times is liable to find itself in a similar situation …
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

David, that did occur to me and does concern me, but I think they need to find a new business model rather than relying on residuals to keep them afloat. Free access to and use of newspaper archives would seem to be a given in a free and open society.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 16 Feb 2016, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

John Ruggero wrote:David, that did occur to me and does concern me, but I think they need to find a new business model rather than relying on residuals to keep them afloat. Free access and use of newspaper archives would seem to be a given in a free and open society.
I agree 100%.

It makes more sense to learn how to innovate sales rather than to strain at law to keep your revenue up.
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The service that takes care of the NY Times Permissions and Licensing, PARS International, finally contacted me. The cost for posting the few paragraphs from the 50-year-old article would be $2900 A YEAR!
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

John Ruggero wrote:The service that takes care of the NY Times Permissions and Licensing, PARS International, finally contacted me. The cost for posting the few paragraphs from the 50-year-old article would be $2900 A YEAR!

CHAAAAAAAAA --- CHIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!!!
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

BTW, It is far easier to restrict content digitally than to do it physically. I think publishing companies are choosing the easy way out of all of this by choosing to go to digital media, disguising it behind what is a "we're going bankrupt" farce (though I know some of them are if they don't do SOMETHING, but I think most of them believe this is the easiest way out).
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer