Printer Recommendation?

Printing, binding, promotion and the business side of engraving.
JulianBennettHolmes

Printer Recommendation?

Post by JulianBennettHolmes »

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a printer for printing parts and scores. Here are my requirements:
• Must be a laser printer, absolutely not inkjet.
• Must be able to print 12"×18" minimum.
• Must be able to print on both sides (duplex) automatically. (Buying an extra attachment to do this is OK.)

It looks like the HP LaserJet 5200 series would satisfy these requirements, although it's unclear to me if the automatic duplex attachment can handle 12"×18", or only 11"×17" — does anyone know about that?

And are there any other printers that meet these requirements? Cheaper is better, and I don't have room for something the size of a whole copy machine, so something closer to the size of the HP LaserJet 5200 series is better.

Thanks!
OCTO

Re: Printer Recommendation?

Post by OCTO »

HP LaserJet 5200 is very fine printer, I am not sure if there is a new model out.

It can print on both sizes automatically, but smaller sizes only.

With the large size pages I always print double sided inserting the paper twice: once you learn how to do it (odd or even pages, correct order) it is very straightforward. The only time consuming is when you take a bunch of paper and insert it once again and press print.
You can also save settings for PDF printing with double sided as "step 1" and "step 2".

I think HP LaserJet 5200 is the highest quality printer of all "budget" printers. Everything above it is extremely expensive.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The HP 5200 is no longer made, but refurbished ones are available. This seems to be the printer of choice for many, not only because it is an excellent printer, but because it (and its siblings 5000, 5100) may be the only choice. There is more info at recent thread at http://www.finaleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15069

Sorry, I don't know if it will duplex 12 x 18 not yet having one. Hopefully, some with one will answer that.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
JulianBennettHolmes

Thanks to both of you — this is exactly the information I needed. I'll keep an eye out for a good price on a 5200 and get it when I can.

Thanks again!
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

No, it won't auto-duplex 12 x 18". The largest known size it will do, according to the manual, seems to be A3 (11.7 x 16.5"). You might possibly persuade it to do a slightly longer custom size.
It does let you print a whole batch on one side and then re-load to print the other side. ("Manual duplexing").

If you're near South London, I happen to have a spare....
JulianBennettHolmes

Manual duplexing is fine by me, and my usual notation software (Dorico) seems to make this really easy.

I'm in New York, not London, but if you're interested in selling the printer, I'd be interested in buying it and paying for shipping... Although overseas shipping might be prohibitively expensive...
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

JulianBennettHolmes wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 22:05Although overseas shipping might be prohibitively expensive...
I get people baulking at paying shipping costs for 1Kg of paper to the US. 51 Kg, plus the weight of the pallet and packing, would be prohibitive.
JulianBennettHolmes

Hi everyone,

I've had the LaserJet 5200 for a couple months now, and it's working perfectly. I had a couple issues getting it up and running, but now that it does, it seems like an excellent printer. The manual duplex is very easy to deal with, and the output is great.

Thanks again for all your help!