Beethoven's terminology?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
David Ward

Re: Beethoven's terminology?

Post by David Ward »

Just to say that the Bingham String Quartet responded to Beethoven's instructions more or less as we have interpreted them in our discussion here when they gave an inspirational and enthusiastically received performance last night.

As a footnote to that: I was a little concerned that a 'tough' quartet written by a somewhat crabbity composer (Ronald Center) in 1943/1944, five short new pieces by students (including one with whom OCTO put me in contact from Sweden) and a four movement virtuosic quartet from 1994 by me, followed after the interval by the Beethoven's opus 74, might be somewhat indigestible for a rural Northern Scottish audience (and on a snowy evening). Not a bit of it! All the audience (youngest member 9, oldest late 80s) found this concert a wonderful experience, and the members of the quartet were full of enthusiastic praise for the venue, the audience and the hospitality they were given.

It's a tragedy that with funding cuts &c we may not be able to put on any more similar concerts.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/