Different slur thickness and centring

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Different slur thickness and centring

Post by OCTO »

Split questions from: https://notat.io/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107&start=30#p1807
Well, here is an example of differentiation in thickness on left and right side:
Screen%20Shot%202016-02-29%20at%2017.19.27.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-02-29%20at%2017.19.27.png (15.58 KiB) Viewed 9690 times
In my Finale settings I added extra thickness to the LEFT (EDIT TYPO:not right) side of a slur. It is just a personal opinion. However, it is not fixed and it can be adjusted if we have in mind the centre of the slur's shape:
Here the slur is centered over the last :2 of the first group.
shot.jpg
shot.jpg (76.11 KiB) Viewed 9690 times
Here the slur is centered over the first :2 of the second group.
shot 1.jpg
shot 1.jpg (81.32 KiB) Viewed 9690 times
Here the slur is centered over the centre of the second group.
shot 2.jpg
shot 2.jpg (81.92 KiB) Viewed 9690 times
It affect slurs very much. If you compare the first and last example you will notice that the boldness moves.
Last edited by OCTO on 02 Mar 2016, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Re: Different slur thickness and centring

Post by Knut »

Very interesting!
But do you really need to overstate the boldness on one side to achieve this effect? It seems to me that this can just as easily be achieved with symmetrical thickness, since adjusting the center point is what let's you reposition the boldest bart of the slur.
OCTO

Re: RE: Re: Different slur thickness and centring

Post by OCTO »

Knut wrote:Very interesting!
But do you really need to overstate the boldness on one side to achieve this effect? It seems to me that this can just as easily be achieved with symmetrical thickness, since adjusting the center point is what let's you reposition the boldest bart of the slur.
Correct. But this cannot be achieved by slurs with the symmetrical shape.
The slurs above are not symmetrical.
Yet, with the symmetrical slurs the boldness will be affected on one side only, and this is what I prefer over symmetrical boldness of symmetrical slurs.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Just to clarify, OCTO. Your original settings had the greater thickness on the left side. Here it is on the right side. Considering that Finale only allows one setting for a file, do you use a different setting for each file?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:Just to clarify, OCTO. Your original settings had the greater thickness on the left side. Here it is on the right side. Considering that Finale only allows one setting for a file, do you use a different setting for each file?
It is on the left side here as well. I just edited the same measure. I can upload the file once back in the studio.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

OCTO. wrote
In my Finale settings I added extra thickness to the right side of a slur.
Sorry, OCTO. I took that to mean that you changed the settings so that the right side was thicker. Was that a typo? It did start out looking thicker on the left.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:OCTO. wrote
In my Finale settings I added extra thickness to the right side of a slur.
Sorry, OCTO. I took that to mean that you changed the settings so that the right side was thicker. Was that a typo? It did start out looking thicker on the left.
Oh yes, I see it now. I mean I added on the LEFT SIDE.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, OCTO. That simplifies things. So you do always keep that setting for your slurs. I will experiment some more with your settings.

The more I look at these Henle slurs, the more problems I see. I now see one that crosses through a P. (page 39 of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas) I wish that I could post what I am looking at. There are so many errors that would be pointed out by the members of this forum. And yet in spite of the imperfections, the whole looks as cold as ice to me. What is it?

Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:There are so many errors that would be pointed out by the members of this forum. And yet in spite of the imperfections, the whole looks as cold as ice to me. What is it?
My guess is the chillingly beautiful font. ;)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

To much new-age German perfection.
I agree with you, John.