How many slashes for unmeasured tremolos (including beamed)?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
erelievonen

Re: How many slashes for unmeasured tremolos (including beamed)?

Post by erelievonen »

tisimst wrote:
David Ward wrote:
erelievonen wrote:… … …

tremolo.tiff
Somewhat OT, but rather strangely I can view your .tiff file in Safari, but not in (latest) Firefox, which I use by default. This also applies to your recent .tiff in another thread here, and with two different Mac OS.
I get the same experience using Opera.
Odd... If anyone knows what I've done wrong, I'm all ears. In the meantime, I added pdf files of those images. However, I was not able to get them showing inline.
erelievonen

Post by erelievonen »

Knut wrote:I look at this as a conceptual issue similar to that debated earlier: Those who view unmeasured tremolo as a direct continuation of the measured tremolo will likely take the beams or flags into account, and the number of slashes will thus depend on note value. On the other hand, those who view unmeasured tremolo as an isolated effect, will probably most often use Grieg's solution, with the same number of slashes (either three or four) on every note, regardless of it's value.

Both are acceptable solutions, and well established in the literature.
This is an excellent analysis of the present debate!!
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

erelievonen wrote:
tisimst wrote:
David Ward wrote:Somewhat OT, but rather strangely I can view your .tiff file in Safari, but not in (latest) Firefox, which I use by default. This also applies to your recent .tiff in another thread here, and with two different Mac OS.
I get the same experience using Opera.
Odd... If anyone knows what I've done wrong, I'm all ears. In the meantime, I added pdf files of those images. However, I was not able to get them showing inline.
https://notat.io/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16#p124
I don't know how to edit phpBB code, if anyone knows the solution for TIFF let me know!
Otherwise, use other kind of picture extensions.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
erelievonen

Post by erelievonen »

OCTO wrote:https://notat.io/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16#p124 [...] Otherwise, use other kind of picture extensions.
Thanks - did so.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

For less common cases, like the one erelievonen shows above, one could write: trem. non trem., and then sim. with ord. to cancel when the pattern stops.

The same objection might be raised to col legno—ord. or sul pont.—ord. substituted for the trem.—non trem. in the example, yet that is what we do now.

Or some other mechanism could be used. But for long series of tremolos as in the Grieg, I think a simple trem. would be much cleaner.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

erelievonen wrote:
Knut wrote:I look at this as a conceptual issue similar to that debated earlier: Those who view unmeasured tremolo as a direct continuation of the measured tremolo will likely take the beams or flags into account, and the number of slashes will thus depend on note value. On the other hand, those who view unmeasured tremolo as an isolated effect, will probably most often use Grieg's solution, with the same number of slashes (either three or four) on every note, regardless of it's value.

Both are acceptable solutions, and well established in the literature.
This is an excellent analysis of the present debate!!
Why, thank you sir!
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:Or some other mechanism could be used. But for long series of tremolos as in the Grieg, I think a simple trem. would be much cleaner.
Fortunately, other mechanisms already exist in the literature, several of which where pointed out by OCTO in his first post.