Cautionary percussion clefs: unnecessary?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
David Ward

Cautionary percussion clefs: unnecessary?

Post by David Ward »

At the end of the first of the two systems in the attached PDF page, there are two cautionary clefs in the percussion parts in preparation for the change from 5-line to single-line staves. Having them seems to be the software default, but it looks unnecessary - indeed, plain wrong - to me in this case. I've only just noticed them while checking a printed copy, but I intend to ‘hide’ them in the Finale file.

Do others have a contrary opinion (ie does anyone think they should be shown)?

I also see that even were I to want these cautionary clefs, as I might in a different context, their vertical position is slightly wrong.

Roll on Dorico!
Attachments
p18.pdf
(85.72 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
OCTO

Re: Cautionary percussion clefs: unnecessary?

Post by OCTO »

That is absolutely correct.

First, as a general rule, the cautionary clefs must be shown.
What is not good in your example (what Finale does by default) is that the cautionary clef and the next regular clef are not the same. Remember that clef represents not only a symbol and not only the position of that symbol, but also the staff lines as well. Because of this, the cautionary clef is not equal to the next regular clef.

I would do this tweak in Finale: hide the cautionary, apply a staff style at the end of that measure with the correct staff, add the clef as expression.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

Thank you OCTO. I'll do my best to follow your advice as to how best to do this. There seem to be things to correct on so many pages of this print of the piece so far – and I have most of Act III still to compose.

I have thought of it as a wonderful asset of this computer age that it is practical to print substantial sections of a piece (acts, movements etc) while it is still work in progress. But maybe not always: might it be in danger of becoming a distraction? (Given that I still compose in manuscript.)

I'll need to think about that.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

David Ward wrote:There seem to be things to correct on so many pages of this print of the piece so far – and I have most of Act III still to compose..
:eek: :eek: