Stress & antistress articulations

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
David Ward

Stress & antistress articulations

Post by David Ward »

If the pencil sketch is a memory of the tarantella (note the the mandolin) but now to be played simultaneously with something quite different (and slower) in 4/4, would my use of the stress ´ and anti-stress ˘ symbols make the rhythm (for the remembered tarantella) clear? I've only used the anti-stress just once, but have added the stress to each :3d quasi-beat.

BTW, these stress and anti-stress articulations don't seem to be in the standard collection of articulations with Finale, but they can be found in the Opus Special font and I'm expecting to use that font for them. Or should I perhaps just use the versions I've typed above (in a suitable font and size)?
Attachments
Stress.jpeg
Stress.jpeg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
Tarantella.png
Tarantella.png (47.79 KiB) Viewed 9562 times
Last edited by David Ward on 20 Sep 2016, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
John Ruggero

Re: Stress & antistress articulations

Post by John Ruggero »

That's an interesting case, David. I think that I would use tenuto marks and beaming to show the grouping:
Stress.jpg
Stress.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 9531 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Indeed interesting.
In this case, IMO, I would keep completely regular rhythm and regular beaming. I would use just accents for stressing (as, for instance, Piazzolla does in his tangos, where 4/4 is actually 3+3+2/8.)
In your example, David, I have to many information to deal with. Non-stress that is marked fells that I should DO something, but actually it shows that I should NOT do something (accent).

John, in :n4 / :n4 I can barely play your rhythm.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I was afraid of that, OCTO. How about:
Stress 2.jpg
Stress 2.jpg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 9504 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

That looks very playable, John. I would add accents to emphasise the 'tuplet' rhythm.

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

Thank you for the responses.

I think I'll most likely go for John's last example, but with OCTO's suggested accents rather than with tenuto marks.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Bartok uses sometimes dashed barlines to stress an independent phrasing. Many contemporary composers use it along the tempo changes, but for me as a player it is better to keep it as common as possible (in ensemble, to say: not solo music).
That is Messiaen's fourth style.

John's approach no2 could be possible if you have independent TS and barlines. In that case the tempo is different too (this line goes into a compound TS of x/16). For me it is a bit to much. The common denominator and tempo in chamber and orchestral music is priority for me (in this particular situation).

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Edit: John's FIRST example no 1. (Not no 2)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

To clarify, I was using the tenuto marking in its alternate meaning as a mild stress indication, since normal accent marks might be a little strong for the situation, unless, of course, David does want very vigorous accents.