Note spacing - voice collision in Dorico et al.?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
tisimst

Re: Note spacing - voice collision in Dorico et al.?

Post by tisimst »

Drum roll, please! I finally convinced someone to engrave the note-spacing snippet with SCORE. Ready for it? Here you go:
SCORE-note-spacing.png
SCORE-note-spacing.png (24.78 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

SCORE does a fine job with the seconds, but IMO, the top one would be improved by moving the second and fourth eighth notes slightly to the left to even out the 1/8ths as discussed previously. The bottom one is fine.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 09 Nov 2016, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

tisimst wrote:Drum roll, please! I finally convinced someone to engrave the note-spacing snippet with SCORE.
Clap Clap...! ;)

Hmmm... I am not so convinced. I believed that SCORE has better spacing algorithms. Not bad, but not ideal.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

I agree with OCTO; I'm not really that impressed. However, together with the results produced by Finale and Sibelius, this helps explains why the lack of spacing compensation for double-stemmed seconds have gone on to be rather widely accepted.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

And I agree with both of you. I didn't look carefully enough last night. The seconds themselves are well-spaced but the 16ths that follow are not, which becomes even more apparent in the second example.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com