Note spacing - voice collision in Dorico et al.?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Note spacing - voice collision in Dorico et al.?

Post by OCTO »

From another thread:
Knut wrote:Sorry, John. I missed that because of your positive first reaction.

Anyway, Dorico does indeed provide settings for this as well as a couple related cases:
Skjermbilde 2016-10-24 kl. 23.19.55.png
Skjermbilde 2016-10-24 kl. 23.19.55.png (437.12 KiB) Viewed 11838 times
How does Dorico handle this by default? I think Finale makes mistake by forcing :3 to overdrive :2 spacing.
shot.jpg
shot.jpg (68.09 KiB) Viewed 11838 times
Last edited by OCTO on 26 Oct 2016, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
Knut

Re: Note spacing - voice collision in Dorico?

Post by Knut »

I agree that Finale's spacing is wrong. Here's Dorico:
Skjermbilde 2016-10-25 kl. 11.23.40.png
Skjermbilde 2016-10-25 kl. 11.23.40.png (75.57 KiB) Viewed 11836 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

By the default?
Knut

Post by Knut »

That's correct!
RMK

Post by RMK »

Actually, I like Finale's spacing better, provided you move both sixteenth A's a bit to the right. The Dorico spacing of the bottom staff too irregular for me.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I think that the spacing is determined by the smallest value, even when they are moved. Right?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

RMK wrote:Actually, I like Finale's spacing better, provided you move both sixteenth A's a bit to the right. The Dorico spacing of the bottom staff too irregular for me.
Interesting.

Dorico seems to take the tradidional approach. Perhaps Finale can be said to have a modem take?
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

There are two things about spacing going on here: allocation and justification. Dorico’s allocation is far superior to Finale’s. There is no good reason for the first & second 16ths to be closer together than the others; Finale fails to allocate enough space for the second between the voices. My usual way of correcting uneven spacing in Finale (go into the beat chart and delete the middle marker) doesn’t work in this case because the first 16th does need more space. It can only be tweaked by hand, which is SO cumbersome and imprecise.

Finale’s justification is “modern” in that it works by inserting an equal proportion of extra space after every beat position on a system. Old-fashioned grid spacing, as done by hand by engravers, is much more pleasing to my eye, because it gives preference to spaces that are more important to the rhythm and the flow of music.

If you feel the Dorico example above is too uneven, keep in mind that it is minimized horizontally in galley [scroll] view. Any stretch due to justification begins to even it out. This is where Dorico’s justification is also better than Finale’s.

At reasonable staff size, I prefer the notes of the second closer together (as Finale does, with stems aligning), and indeed Dorico has a setting for that.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I agree with MJCube.

Finale's spacing of the seconds with the stems aligning, seems standard to me. Dorico's handling of the general spacing is also standard. I don't understand why Dorico would have its default for seconds set so wide because it exaggerates the unevenness of the 1/8th notes, when it should instead be hiding it. With this setting corrected, the Dorico layout would be the winner for me. Maybe Knut might want to show what that would look like.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

FWIW, LilyPond follows the same logic as Dorico. MuseScore seems to follow Finale's approach by spacing the lower staff notes more evenly and pushing the first pair of 16th notes together. I'm not a computer with Sibelius or SCORE to see what they do. Any takers?

As a side note, you might get away with the best of both worlds with a little bit of fudge-factor by shifting the second 16th slightly right and the fourth 16th slightly left to even out those 16th runs:
MuseScore 2_ note-spacing-test.png
MuseScore 2_ note-spacing-test.png (12.31 KiB) Viewed 11796 times
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge