Endings?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
NicholasG

Endings?

Post by NicholasG »

I have a score with 3 movements. The last measure of each movement blends into the next movement so that all 3 must be performed to make musical sense. If the players want to play any of the movements as a stand alone, the last measure of the of the selected movement must have a different ending. Basically each movement(except for the last) will have 2 different endings.
1: if the players play it as a stand alone.
2: if the players play all 3 movements together.
I remember seeing this in a score once but I can't remember how it was engraved.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
1 TB Flash Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 4 TB external HD
Logic Pro X 10.2, Cubase 9
Final 25.2, Sibelius 8.5
UR 44, M1, Keystation 88
Adobe CC
John Ruggero

Re: Endings?

Post by John Ruggero »

You might have the two endings bracketed like a first and second ending, but instead of 1. and 2. have: "For continuing" and "For ending".
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

I second John's suggestion, and I would just add that you should, of course, clarify your intensions for each bracketed ending by supplying it with the appropriate double or final barline.
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

I agree, and I would put “For ending” first and “For continuing” after, with a gap between (very effective in Sibelius).
NicholasG

Post by NicholasG »

Thanks. I tried to look this up in Gould's "Behind Bars" but couldn't find a reference to it.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
1 TB Flash Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 4 TB external HD
Logic Pro X 10.2, Cubase 9
Final 25.2, Sibelius 8.5
UR 44, M1, Keystation 88
Adobe CC
Alexander Ploetz

Post by Alexander Ploetz »

I had a whole suite to engrave for a customer with this approach two years ago. Have a look.