First ending over multiple pages

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Mukjong

First ending over multiple pages

Post by Mukjong »

Hello!

I am fairly new to notating and attempting to write out one of my original pieces for a scholarship and have a question regarding multiple endings. Specifically, if the first ending carries over to the following page of music, what is the professional way to notate the continuous first ending? The piece has multiple parts which limits the amount I am able to include on one page.

I thought about removing the right side of the bracket on the first page and the left side of the bracket on the second page to give the reader the idea that the ending continues, but that seemed a little sloppy.

I included a picture of the problem.

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
First Ending Dilemma.PNG
First Ending Dilemma.PNG (42.62 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
OCTO

Re: First ending over multiple pages

Post by OCTO »

I think nothing is unusual having the ending line cross multiple systems or pages.
I am not sure in your example why is the line going behind the system's border - looks very non-professional.
As the rule: nothing should pass over the far-right bar-line, except time signatures; and absolutely nothing should pass over the systems' border (frame).

As long the first repetition line is not ended (by a hook: ¬ ), there is no doubt that it continues.
Eventually I would add in parenthesis the next page's repetition number:
(1.)—
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)