Slurs direction in vocal music

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Slurs direction in vocal music

Post by OCTO »

I face problems with slurs that, by default placed under music, collide with lyrics (as in with low notes in Alto).

Do you think it is OK to place slurs ABOVE (not default) to minimize clutter and collisions with lyrics?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
David Ward

Re: Slurs direction in vocal music

Post by David Ward »

Yes. In vocal music usually place the slurs above. In general only lyrics and things related to lyrics go below, but there can be some flexibility.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Thank you David.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Christof Schardt

Post by Christof Schardt »

OCTO wrote: 29 Jan 2017, 05:47 I face problems with slurs that, by default placed under music, collide with lyrics (as in with low notes in Alto).
Do you think it is OK to place slurs ABOVE (not default) to minimize clutter and collisions with lyrics?
Yes, as an exception it is helpful and ok to place slurs above to avoid collisions.
But I would not recommend this as a general rule ("slurs always above in case of a lyrics staff").
Software Developer, Musician and Engraving Aficionado
PriMus 1.1