Place in score of drum set staff

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
gogreen

Place in score of drum set staff

Post by gogreen »

I'm adding a drum set staff to a concert band score. Where should I place the staff? I'm guessing the staff should go above the snare drum/bass drum staff.
percussion.PNG
percussion.PNG (13.72 KiB) Viewed 11463 times
OCTO

Re: Place in score of drum set staff

Post by OCTO »

I can't answer directly where to put it in the band score, but another issue here is a comma – do not use it for the staff names.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
RMK

Post by RMK »

In orchestra scores I've often seen it below all other percussion.
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

Thanks, OCTO and RMK.
N. Grossingink

Post by N. Grossingink »

My clients (educational music) set up the percussion section like this:

Percussion 1 (Snare Drum and Bass Drum, or Drum Set)
Percussion 2 (Cymbals and accessories)
(another stave Percussion 3 if needed)
Mallet Percussion
(another stave Mallets 2 if needed)
Timpani

N.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

As referred to by N. it is standard to write Perc 1, Perc. 2 in the margins instead of the individual instruments. What Percussion 1 is is defined on the instrumentation page. Then individual abbreviations appear over each percussion staff to define the instrument actually playing. E. Gould has an excellent section on score layout and mentions placing the timpani over the percussion, but doesn't seem to address a drum set.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 27 Feb 2017, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Thomas Eberth

Post by Thomas Eberth »

As a conducter of a school concert band I can say: There is no standard order for percussion/drum staves. Different scores have different orders.

In newer scores I often see timpani at the top, then percussion 1, 2, ... and the drumset at the bottom.

Thomas
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

John Ruggero wrote: 25 Feb 2017, 13:33 As referred to by N. it is standard to write Perc 1, Perc. 2 in the margins instead of the individual instruments. What Percussion 1 is is defined on the instrumentation page. Then individual abbreviations appear over each percussion staff to define the instrument actually playing.
+1. If anyone is curious, here's the percussion key for a piece I copied for a fairly well known composer back in 2004 or so. (He's now deceased, but had won a Pulitzer for composition, as well as a MacArthur.) The 8 percussionists were assigned instruments as follows, but then the staves were just numbered 1-8, with each entrance of a new instrument marked with boxed text.

Somewhat uniquely, for this piece it was decided to have 2 sets of percussion parts made. One set had Perc. 1-4 and Perc. 5-8, and the other set had all individual parts. I guess that way the performers could pick and choose if they wanted all the additional information or not.
RMK

Post by RMK »

Actually not so unique. Many of the John Williams Signature Series Suites (Hal Leonard) use this exact method - several copies of percussion score and also individual parts.