Perception of noteheads

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Knut

Re: Perception of noteheads

Post by Knut »

I really don't think the counter in the Vienna note head is too narrow per se, but it does seem to require quite a bit thicker staff lines, and maybe even an increase in point size compared to the other noteheads to be well balanced.

My main issue with it is the shape. I generally don't like counters with straight diagonals; it makes the notehead look square and undynamic.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Knut wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 12:46 My main issue with it is the shape. I generally don't like counters with straight diagonals; it makes the notehead look square and undynamic.
As it is matter of taste, for me just the straight diagonals are so different from all other noteheads available. I believe that these straight lines make actually sharper outline toward the horizontal lines of the staff system, thus sharpening the notehead's perception. I always adored SCORE's :5 -notehead. :)
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 18:46
Knut wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 12:46 My main issue with it is the shape. I generally don't like counters with straight diagonals; it makes the notehead look square and undynamic.
As it is matter of taste, for me just the straight diagonals are so different from all other noteheads available. I believe that these straight lines make actually sharper outline toward the horizontal lines of the staff system, thus sharpening the notehead's perception. I always adored SCORE's :5 -notehead. :)
Indeed it's a matter of taste, but these kinds of decisions should be based on the overall aesthetic of the font. As far as I can see, there's nothing in the design of Vienna which would indicate such a 'clean' notehead shape.
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

A larger version of 2 would be my preference.