Size of accidentals with grace notes?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
John Ruggero

Re: Size of accidentals with grace notes?

Post by John Ruggero »

benwiggy wrote: 28 May 2017, 09:25 think the "SMuFL" approach is for there to be a collection of parentheses and brackets, which can be applied to any object by the software. That make more sense and is more flexible, though requires more effort.
MM are certainly involved in the move to SMuFL, and I would imagine that their efforts in font creation are all focused on that -- all 3000 glyphs of it!
I think that this analysis is probably correct. However, it is also illustrative of MM's apparent philosophy (up until this point, at least) that supplying as much flexibility as possible relieves them of responsibility for making things easier for users by supplying defaults that produce standard results, or libraries of items for standard situations such as the numerous Smart Lines that have to be created from scratch. In my opinion, any business concerned about improvement would have realized and done something about this years ago, given the small effort necessary.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Perhaps, but then when I've asked on forums for community efforts to produce better Finale settings and libraries, I've often received the answer that different folk wants different strokes.
If it would only take MM a small effort to produce a better set of default documents, then why is no one else offering them?

I've found the threads here detailing improved settings for Slurs and other elements very helpful: perhaps a Finale document could be produced: "As approved by Notatio Users".
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

benwiggy wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 21:41 Perhaps, but then when I've asked on forums for community efforts to produce better Finale settings and libraries, I've often received the answer that different folk wants different strokes.
I recently had the same experience on another forum.
benwiggy wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 21:41 perhaps a Finale document could be produced: "As approved by Notatio Users".
I agree. The line and slur settings could be a starting point.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com