Size of accidentals with grace notes?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
David Ward

Size of accidentals with grace notes?

Post by David Ward »

If an accidental precedes a grace note, but also applies to normal notes that follow, should it be as much reduced in size as the grace notehead (as in the Finale default), or might it with advantage be somewhat larger?

An alternative might be to repeat the accidental as it applies to the normal note, but that might look a tad fussy and cluttered.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
Knut

Re: Size of accidentals with grace notes?

Post by Knut »

David Ward wrote: 24 May 2017, 20:24 If an accidental precedes a grace note, but also applies to normal notes that follow, should it be as much reduced in size as the grace notehead (as in the Finale default), or might it with advantage be somewhat larger?

An alternative might be to repeat the accidental as it applies to the normal note, but that might look a tad fussy and cluttered.
Accidentals on grace notes do carry though the measure by convention, but you may want to add a courtesy accidental on the first main note if it's a few beats away from the grace note. I would never change the size of the accidental, though, as that would screw up the visual balance.

That said, it's not like using normal sized accidentals on grace notes hasen't been done. See this thread with an example by Peters: viewtopic.php?t=129#p2134.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

Thanks - yes, I thought it had come up before.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Apropos of nothing, I was looking through the Maestro font characters, and there are "small" versions of all the accidentals. Even those with brackets.
The "main three" are used on trills, but I wonder what else they might have been envisaged for. Grace notes are just reduced %.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

All of these small accidentals, including double sharps and flats, are used to clarify the auxiliary tones of various ornaments such as turns as well as trills. They are also used over notes in critical editions when there doubt about the text.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

It's just curious that having made them all in Maestro and Engraver, plus a bracketed set, Finale doesn't really acknowledge them. There's no "small accidental" character setting in Doc Opts, for instance; and you have to seek them out (rather than using the standard symbols, possibly at a reduction) for use in Smart Shapes.
John Ruggero wrote: 26 May 2017, 10:46They are also used over notes in critical editions when there doubt about the text.
Don't get me started on all the different types of accidentals needed in critical editions! :)

One of my biggest complaints is the lack of square brackets on accidentals. I've had to create a font which has [#] in the place of #, so that I can just switch the font for a given note, to give square brackets.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I think these items are a half-hearted attempt on MM's part. What is really needed is a complete set of parenthesized and bracketed articulations, expressions and accidentals and such that would constitute an "Editor's Library" that save one the task of creating them, which is often annoying given the primitive state of the various Designers. This would take their staff all of a day or two and create good will all around.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

John Ruggero wrote: 27 May 2017, 12:07… …This would take their staff all of a day or two and create good will all around.
Is there some effective way to encourage someone significant from MM to take note of John's post?
Last edited by David Ward on 28 May 2017, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

John Ruggero wrote: 27 May 2017, 12:07 What is really needed is a complete set of parenthesized and bracketed articulations, expressions and accidentals and such that would constitute an "Editor's Library" that save one the task of creating them, which is often annoying given the primitive state of the various Designers.
I think the "SMuFL" approach is for there to be a collection of parentheses and brackets, which can be applied to any object by the software. That make more sense and is more flexible, though requires more effort.
MM are certainly involved in the move to SMuFL, and I would imagine that their efforts in font creation are all focused on that -- all 3000 glyphs of it!
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)