Beam thickness

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Beam thickness

Post by OCTO »

From the another topic's post:
John Ruggero wrote:Beam thickness is not something that I have delved into yet, so I just use the Finale default.
I always liked more fat beams. They represent musical shapes and notehead movements in a more visually appealing way.
This is example of a theory test I did a long time ago. I have used a bit bolder font, Engraver - for this purpose.
The thickness is 1.234mm/0.0486in/3.5pt
Attachments
Untitled.pdf
(14.98 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Fred G. Unn

Re: Beam thickness

Post by Fred G. Unn »

I'm pretty sure beam thickness is fairly standard at a 1/2 space. If it's larger than that, won't it mess up some of the sit-straddle-hang rules designed to avoid wedges?
Knut

Post by Knut »

Fred G. Unn wrote:I'm pretty sure beam thickness is fairly standard at a 1/2 space. If it's larger than that, won't it mess up some of the sit-straddle-hang rules designed to avoid wedges?
As long as the increased thickness is achieved at the expense of the gap between the primary and secondary beams, as in Octo's example, I don't think wedges will be a problem. Beams in plate engraved scores are often thicker than half a space. If used with the Patterson Beams Plug-in, I think too much beam thickness will mess up the results, though, and in any case, one probably shouldn't increase the thickness more than half the thickness of the stafflines.

I have my beams set at 12.5 EVPUs without gap compensation, corresponding to the Patterson Henle-Beams settings, even though I use Beam slants more in line with Ted Ross' recommendations. This works fine, but then again, it is a very slight increase.
Last edited by Knut on 27 Oct 2015, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Knut wrote: I have my beams set at 12.5 spaces
12.5 EVPUs maybe? 12.5 spaces would be interesting, LOL!
Knut

Post by Knut »

Fred G. Unn wrote:
Knut wrote: I have my beams set at 12.5 spaces
12.5 EVPUs maybe? 12.5 spaces would be interesting, LOL!
Haha, you're right. Post edited!
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

How to explain to the non-finale folk what EVPU is?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

OCTO wrote:How to explain to the non-finale folk what EVPU is?
It's a unit of measurement where 24 EVPUs = 1 space. Knut's 12.5 EVPUs would be just a tiny bit over 1/2 a space.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

In experimenting with the 12.5, I noticed something very strange: why is the Finale default beaming for A different from B? For me, A is correct in both cases. B produces stems that are too short. Same notes going in the opposite directions should have the same beaming, correct?
Beams and Stems1.jpg
Beams and Stems1.jpg (10.5 KiB) Viewed 11225 times
Then when I tried the 12.5, it actually changed some of the beam positions!
Beams and Stems2.jpg
Beams and Stems2.jpg (14.77 KiB) Viewed 11225 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

John Ruggero wrote:Same notes going in the opposite directions should have the same beaming, correct?
Yes, the direction shouldn't matter. That's very odd, I'm not sure exactly what settings are triggering that result. According to Ross, E-F should be hang-straddle so the first A is correct and B is wrong, and F-G should be straddle-sit so A is wrong and B is correct.

Did you run Patterson Beams? I have my default beaming settings set so they work nicely with Patterson Beams, which I then run on every single file I ever work on. Here is what I get by default after running Patterson Beams, without any manual tweaking involved:
FinBeaming.jpg
FinBeaming.jpg (21.05 KiB) Viewed 11217 times
(Ignore the fact that the beams look slightly displaced to the right. That's just at this resolution of jpeg, they print fine.)