My current Sibelius slur settings

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

My current Sibelius slur settings

Post by OCTO »

Here are my current Sibelius slur settings. I have somehow tried to mimic SCORE.
Let me know what you think.
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 20.21.48.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 20.21.48.png (640.57 KiB) Viewed 12989 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schonbergian

Re: My current Sibelius slur settings

Post by Schonbergian »

Is SCORE really a good model, though? I've always regarded its slurs, with their constant weight and taper regardless of length, to be the ugliest part of its output.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

:) :) :)
Depends who has engraved... Some good scores have remarkable beautiful slurs in SCORE.

By the way, I have the same feeling for Sibelius. The default setting is truly miserable.
What I tried to mimic is the flatness and boldness of SCORE.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
odod

Post by odod »

dear OCTO,

i agree with your opinion. I once know a guy named John Greschak who was able to mimic exactly like SCORE output on FINALE,

here's the example.
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

I just can't get my head around those ties, though. They're way too far from the noteheads to be pleasing to my eye.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

There are no so many slurs there.
To mimic SCORE there should be adjusted numerous settings, not only fonts. The example above is quite pretty, though.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The proof is in the pudding, OCTO. Could you post an example? I am interested to compare them with the Dorico slurs with which I am presently involved.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 23:45 The proof is in the pudding, OCTO. Could you post an example? I am interested to compare them with the Dorico slurs with which I am presently involved.
Sorry for delay in answering.
Here is a random example. If you want a particular phrase to be tested, let me know (upload your mxml file)
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 10.28.39.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 10.28.39.png (247.47 KiB) Viewed 12751 times
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, OCTO. It is very nice. The basic slur shape looks better than Dorico to me and more like FInale. Maybe Knut will comment on it. I would make the fourth one on the middle staff bow out a little more to take it away from the middle note. All of these programs have problems with a steep series of notes. I tried it with my settings in Finale and it was worse than yours without hand adjustment.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

I really like those slurs too, and I agree with Johns comments about their general similarity to Finale's slurs, their superiority to Dorico's slurs and the necessity for an increased arch on the steep slur in the middle.

All in all, these slurs seem a little bit too flat to me, and perhaps a tiny bit too thick for the music font. But the shape and tapering is generally very nice, more or less exactly how I would like to see the Dorico slurs in future.