My current Sibelius slur settings

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Re: My current Sibelius slur settings

Post by OCTO »

Thanks for the feedback.
The things I tried to avoid are:
- slur shoulders on the ending (to much in Sibelius),
- to curvy (usually Finale), particularly when avoiding collisions,
- zero tip-width (so ugly, Finale).

I like more flattened than curved slurs; also, the boldness is higher in order to compensate the balance with note-heads and beams (my opinion). Finale has to thin slurs and 0 tip.
The example could, perhaps, be improved. However I tried to avoid manual editing for this example.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

I don't mind the thickness, but they could be a bit more tapered in my opinion. It does look exactly like SCORE's defaults, if that's what your end goal is.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

As an unedited example, it is excellent, achieves your stylistic goals, and is probably good enough since there is always a little hand work to be done here and there. Good to know in case they continue to "improve" Finale to the point where I too can't use it any more.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
odod

My current Sibelius slur settings

Post by odod »

This is by far my current sibelius slur setting (untweaked yet) .. btw this is with magnetic layout ON .. (mostly i will turn OFF)
Mozart - Piano Sonata in C minor K457_0001.png
Mozart - Piano Sonata in C minor K457_0001.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 8751 times
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Very nice, odod. One of the Sib examples that actually don't look like Sibelius.
I like it very much, not only the slur settings but everything else.

If you want to share your settings (screenshots), I would be more than happy to explore your approach.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
odod

Post by odod »

Thank you so much OCTO,
of course i would be happy to share
remember when you finalize the slur, you must TURN OFF the Magnetic Layout
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (123.27 KiB) Viewed 8735 times
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Many thanks odod. But, if you turn off the magnetic layout, don't they move again? My settings would imply as little editing as possible, yet I am aware that the full automatisation is not possible (yet!).