Incomplete tuplets - yes or no?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
erelievonen

Incomplete tuplets - yes or no?

Post by erelievonen »

There seems to exist a notation software that can natively notate incomplete tuplets. If I'm not mistaken, the program in question is Encore. (I did not compose these, neither have I ever used Encore myself.)

If we accept the non-standard rhythmical notation, then these measures are mathematically correct, even if very difficult for a human performer to decipher. I would indeed be surprised if anyone here thought this is acceptable notation. After all, there are other standard ways of spelling out the same rhythms. (FYI, the tempo is quarter=88.)

My question for discussion is: is it even desirable that a notation program be capable of such notation (without special workarounds)? As can be seen here, such a possibility is liable to be misused.
tuplets1.jpg
tuplets1.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 9547 times
tuplets2.jpg
tuplets2.jpg (23.4 KiB) Viewed 9548 times
OCTO

Re: Incomplete tuplets - yes or no?

Post by OCTO »

That is difficult to read, definitely.
I would say even incorrect.

About the question: the error lies as a result in misuse of good things.
No software is immune of human errors, be it in program itself or otherwise.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I agree with OCTO.

My ideal notation would able to do everything, even crazy things, which might prove to be not so crazy after all. And I certainly don't want to be "protected" by the software...
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

While it is less traditional, I can’t see it as a problem or incorrect or something a software should intentionally be programmed to NOT do. Why not give flexibility where needed? There’s a lot of modern scores that are waaaaay “worse” than the samples shown here.

FWIW, LilyPond handles this effortlessly.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
erelievonen

Post by erelievonen »

tisimst wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 20:38There’s a lot of modern scores that are waaaaay “worse” than the samples shown here.
That's beside the point. In this specific example, it's entirely pointless to use incomplete triplets, as the same rhythms could be written using regular complete triplets.

And my question was: "is it even desirable that a notation program be capable of such notation (without special workarounds)?" I didn't say that a notation program should be made completely incapable of such notation. But if such notation is made as easy to create as standard notation, there are bound to be people who mistakenly think that using that notation would be just fine in any situation. I hope we agree that it's not.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Don’t worry. We’re on the same page.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Right, Ere!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)