Boosey twitters about accidental kerning

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Boosey twitters about accidental kerning

Post by OCTO »

OMG! Engraving rules as tweets... Done in SCORE.
Screen shot 2015-10-28 at 8.50.13 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-28 at 8.50.13 PM.png (147.15 KiB) Viewed 11399 times
However, I have examples of B&H's scores far from being so meticulous... :cool:
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Fred G. Unn

Re: Boosey twitters about accidental kerning

Post by Fred G. Unn »

That's great they are tweeting stuff like that. Now about that beam from B1 to B2 ...
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

LilyPond's default settings shows almost the same alignments :
proko-example-lily.png
proko-example-lily.png (80.82 KiB) Viewed 11390 times
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I've never cared much for the LilyPond clefs, which is a big turnoff for me. The note heads look a little heavy to me, as well. Can another font be substituted in LilyPond?.

I prefer the LilyPond placement of the naturals at your arrow and don''t feel that Boosey's exceptional placement was necessary, but I do prefer the Boosey spacing of the naturals on the last chord. The LilyPond naturals are too close together there. I also prefer the Boosey overall more even spacing and better handling of the clash between the C natural and C sharp on beat 2 of the first measure, where it is not completely clear that the two notes play together in the Lilyond. In general, I think the Boosey is easier to read.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

John Ruggero wrote: Can another font be substituted in LilyPond?
I know very little about LilyPond, but I did see there are quite a few fonts developed already:
https://fonts.openlilylib.org/

I think bunch of those are by Abraham Lee, and he has a pretty good engraving blog:
http://leighverlag.blogspot.com/
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

Hi John,
John Ruggero wrote:I've never cared much for the LilyPond clefs, which is a big turnoff for me. The note heads look a little heavy to me, as well. Can another font be substituted in LilyPond?. [...]
Yes, see Fred's links
John Ruggero wrote:[...] I prefer the LilyPond placement of the naturals at your arrow and don''t feel that Boosey's exceptional placement was necessary, but I do prefer the Boosey spacing of the naturals on the last chord. The LilyPond naturals are too close together there. I also prefer the Boosey overall more even spacing and better handling of the clash between the C natural and C sharp on beat 2 of the first measure, where it is not completely clear that the two notes play together in the Lilyond. In general, I think the Boosey is easier to read.
Well, these are minor settings that can be done afterward, e.g.:
proko-example-lily-bis.png
proko-example-lily-bis.png (68.22 KiB) Viewed 11382 times

(clef's not the best here, just as an example).

Anyway, I was just curious about how LP would do by default.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Pierre, the better settings made a great improvement in the spacing and appearance, and it is quite nice to read now. I do still find the note heads a bit bold for my taste, but that would change with a different font.

Thanks so much for contributing. I have been very curious abut LilyPond and would really profit from a LilyPond presence on this Forum.

Fred and Pierre, thanks for pointing me to the sites. The number and variety of the alternative fonts is impressive. I see several that might work well for me.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com