Ottavation numbers attached to clefs

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Schneider

Ottavation numbers attached to clefs

Post by Schneider »

Hi,

Very simple question: does this number have to touch the clef or not?
clef-modifier.png
clef-modifier.png (12.61 KiB) Viewed 11028 times
As a subsidiary question: I often see guitar scores (e.g.) without clef ottavation. Is there any rule?
Another example is the Schubert Arpegionne sonata: AFAIK, the arpeggione is tuned like a guitar but I've never seen this sonata written with an 8t-treble clef.
OCTO

Re: Ottavation numbers attached to clefs

Post by OCTO »

I have seen scores with both options, but more with clefs that have 8 attached. But that is probably not the rule.
If anyone else having another statistical information it would be great to know.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Pierre, that is a very nice looking treble clef, independent of the 8. Could you reveal the source?

It looks fine to me, but when I am unsure of something like this, I go and prowl around IMSLP awhile to get a feel for it. Or sheet music.com and look at the various samples for recent editions.

The first time I ever saw a bass clef with a 8va was with Finale. Never before. "Back in the day", the standard octave transpositions were a known quantity, so these appendages were considered unnecessary. But maybe the new precision is a good thing.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

John Ruggero wrote:Pierre, that is a very nice looking treble clef, independent of the 8. Could you reveal the source? [...]
Not far from here ;) : http://www.notat.io/viewtopic.php?p=297#p297
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

That's pretty funny. I thought I had seen that one before! It looks a lot better in a this context.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Try to make a slightly bolder the 8-symbol.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

How about:
clef_8.png
clef_8.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 10984 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I think, but I might have wrong, that 8 should not be italic. At least in this case. It goes to much scissors with the clef.

And slightly smaller, so to compensate the boldness.

It is my personal feeling.

Can you post it in a musical context (some random music of course!)?
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

Sure:
clef_8.png
clef_8.png (33.68 KiB) Viewed 10977 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

It looks beautiful to me.
Maybe to test with roman 8?