Ottavation numbers attached to clefs

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
John Ruggero

Re: Ottavation numbers attached to clefs

Post by John Ruggero »

In that case, the arranger is not following standard notational practice.

Even though I take a composer's (or arranger's) notation VERY seriously, I would make a correction here unless there were some very good reason not to, because I think that it is not only confusing but also destructive to our notational system. One sees the correct notation even in Sor's diagram above. Perhaps Dyens has a very good reason for this deviation; that would be interesting to hear. But it does amaze me how even the most eminent musicians today are unaware of good notational practice. We saw this constantly in A. Arnstein's office.

Thank you for your excellent explanation of guitar fingering and for starting the new thread on fingering. This is a topic that deserves discussion because I think that the principles for engraving fingering are not as clear-cut as some other aspects of engraving.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Re: Ottavation numbers attached to clefs

Post by OCTO »

Schneider wrote:Yep, you're right:
clef_8.png
Now it looks perfect!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)