12/8 Question

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Fred G. Unn

Re: 12/8 Question

Post by Fred G. Unn »

erelievonen wrote:I would in fact place staccato dots also on the 8th notes, to remind myself that they are all played equally short. However, I would hesitate to use this notation if it was intended for other people to read: there would always be someone who'd argue that eighths and quarters with staccato dots should be played differently.
I might be that someone, LOL! Depending on context, I might think that it was done deliberately to differentiate the eighths from the quarters, whereas I would probably play the staccato quarters and non-staccato eighths the same.
erelievonen

Post by erelievonen »

And I might be someone who played non-staccato eighths and staccato quarters differently... (i.e. the 8th longer, or even legato, and the quarter short.)
But that'd depend very much on the context. If the tempo was quick enough, there would be no practical difference.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Fred G. Unn wrote:
Here's an example in 12/8. The first measure shows all rests, the second consolidates leading rests, the third consolidates all within a beat, and the fourth presents another way of notating which may not be acceptable in a given situation. Which do you prefer and why? Which is "correct" in your opinion?
128.jpg
As a performer I would go for the second option. The first and the third is unclear for me. The first unreadable. The last is acoustically similar but notationally not the same. It could be edited only by composer.

I think that this problem comes from the 3/4 t.s. In the slow tempo 6/8 can be conducted as 6/beats (not compound!).
However the 3/8 t.s. is not compound and so the theory is applied from the 3/4 t.s.

I understand this like that: binary t.s.s have accented and unaccented beats. But 3/4 has accented : not accented : half accented beats. The third has more power than the second one.

Therefore the rests can cover from 1-2 but not 2-3.
This is also applied to the other t.s. - if a rest starts from an even beat number (2, 4...) it must be for itself. If it starts from an odd beat number (1, 3...) it can cover the following rests.

The Boosey instrutions are clear about exceptions, especially with the dotted eighth.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

N. Grossingink wrote: If I were performing this, I'd probabrhythp out the pencil and draw hashmarks above the beats.

N.
Agree. Marking the beats is the common practice used on daily basis even with Beethoven.

Particularly if you play ....viola. (no melody, just ostinato rhythm) :-D
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

Aren't cases like this what Half stems/stemlets are for?
Attachments
128 beamed.png
128 beamed.png (360 KiB) Viewed 13673 times
erelievonen

Post by erelievonen »

That's exactly what I was advocating with my 5th option.
N. Grossingink

Post by N. Grossingink »

Fred G. Unn wrote:That sort of points out the problem here though. If the goal of notation is to make the music as clear as possible and the performer has to add information just to see the beat, then the engraver didn't really make it completely clear. If it's a casual rehearsal for a jazz quartet then it's not a big deal, but if you have an entire studio orchestra being paid union scale and they have to take 5 minutes to mark the beats in the parts, then that's a pretty expensive 5 minutes.
The way I see it, your 2nd example is about as clear as it's going to get. At some point, engravers and editors need to sign off on their work as being "state of the art" and leave it to the players to clarify the notation with penciled annotation, as the need arises for each individual. Some will have no trouble at all with your example. Others, like myself, may need the reassurance of their own personalized reminders.

By the way, I like erelievonen's suggestion about having the beat 4 "rest/note/rest" delineated by a beam. Sadly, this is not easily accomplished in Finale.

N.
erelievonen

Post by erelievonen »

By the way, I like erelievonen's suggestion about having the beat 4 "rest/note/rest" delineated by a beam. Sadly, this is not easily accomplished in Finale.
How do you mean this is not easily accomplished in Finale? There are options for beaming over rests and for drawing stemlets automatically.
The only problem with those options, however, is that they are global over the whole document.
Knut

Post by Knut »

erelievonen wrote:
How do you mean this is not easily accomplished in Finale? There are options for beaming over rests and for drawing stemlets automatically.
The only problem with those options, however, is that they are global over the whole document.
My example of Erelievonen's suggestion was done in Finale. I wouldn't use stemlets on the 4th beat (rest, note, rest) only, though.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

erelievonen wrote: There are options for beaming over rests and for drawing stemlets automatically.
Agreed. Perhaps off topic for this forum, but the ability to apply something like this as a staff style would be a nice feature to have.