Clef for cue notes

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Felipe Copaja

Clef for cue notes

Post by Felipe Copaja »

Hi everyone, I have this situation:
In an arrangement of piano variations for chamber ensemble, a cello is tacet in one of them, and the next starts with cue notes from violin, using :t.
Should a cautionary clef change be placed
a) at the end of the previous variation?
b) right after the key signature of the variation in which the cello plays (then showing like :b :f small :t )?
c) at the beginning of the variation, but no cautionary clef change in the previous?

Didn't find info on the web, nor in Gould's Behind Bars...

Thanks,
Felipe Copaja
OCTO

Re: Clef for cue notes

Post by OCTO »

If I have understood correctly, I think the clef will be placed precisely when the violin music starts and returns back to bass clef immediately after the last bar in the violin. No cautionary will be used than. If violin starts immediately from the beginning, you need to indicate it there, the new clef. Cautionary music is just an information, not the regular clef change.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Florian

Post by Florian »

Definitely b), I think.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I think that Gould does answer this question when she says: "It is good practice to retain the player's clef at the beginning of the stave at all times...The cue clef always come afterwards." p. 573 in Behind Bars.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Felipe Copaja

Post by Felipe Copaja »

Ok, then, does anyone know how to do it in Finale 25?
I only can manage it using the cue clef as an expression, the clef tool has the option of placing chef changes after the barline, but doesn't work at the beginning of a system.
RMK

Post by RMK »

Create a blank measure, hide the default rest, make it narrow enough to only show the cautionary clef and adjust measure numbers.