Violin Family - String Numbering

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Yinyue

Violin Family - String Numbering

Post by Yinyue »

Hi Forum,

Merry Christmas!

I want to check back with you if this string number notation would work.

The viola-player should play the two D4s, first on the 3rd, then on the 2nd string.

Is this quickly graspable for the players, and if not, how could I make it so?

Thanks and,
Happy Holidays
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 10.56.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 10.56.05 AM.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 8067 times
Callasmaniac

Re: Violin Family - String Numbering

Post by Callasmaniac »

Usually string numbers are in Roman numerals (lowest=IV, highest=I). These now look quite like fingering numbers. You could also put a zero (0) on the last note as it is an open string.
RMK

Post by RMK »

And, they'll play it however they deem most comfortable, regardless. I would venture to guess that the awkward string crossings you want are rather uncomfortable.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

This is possible (pitches), but please if you are not string musician do not write fingerings. The fingering you propose is not impossible but is "wrong" since nobody would play so, and it would result in a very bad sound.

This is played by 1-4-0 and it is not needed to be notated.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
RMK

Post by RMK »

I think the OP meant to write in string numbers (III, II - eg. sul D, sul G) rather than fingerings, but it seems not idiomatic all the same.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

RMK wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 20:53 I think the OP meant to write in string numbers (III, II - eg. sul D, sul G) rather than fingerings, but it seems not idiomatic all the same.
I see. Indeed!
As you say, the roman numbers or "sul..." is the way it should be notated.

The strings should be notated only in the case there are multiple choices possible. Or for tone color (for instance a melody that should be played sul G).

In your case, do not write the strings, but put zero (not a circle) for the last D.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Yinyue

Post by Yinyue »

OCTO wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 20:12 This is played by 1-4-0 and it is not needed to be notated.
Hi Octo,

Ah, I see my first mistake. We are talking about the same "fingering", though I was trying to indicate string, not finger numbers; and that's Roman numerals, I know now.
RMK wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 20:53 I think the OP meant to write in string numbers (III, II - eg. sul D, sul G) rather than fingerings
That's right.

This lead me to my next question: the only reason I would care to write out the string numbers isn't because I think I know better than a professional string-player, no, it's simply to save a few seconds in a quick-paced recording session.

Is that even worth the hassle?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 7.58.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 7.58.24 AM.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 8012 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Yinyue wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 07:06the only reason I would care to write out the string numbers isn't because I think I know better than a professional string-player, no, it's simply to save a few seconds in a quick-paced recording session.

Is that even worth the hassle?
Yes, Yinyue, I understand that.

But actually, this is counterproductive.
The musicians will not react intuitively but first try to decipher what you have written.
It will take some seconds to understand your intention, the phrase they would play automatically otherwise.

It is too obvious how to play the phrase that adding extra information will make it clutter, and time consuming.
Why? If you put finger 1 on the first note, there is a) no chance to play the second note 0 (D-string) in legato, and b) there is no way to play "sul C" (to make jump one octave on the same string).
So, the only way is to play the second note is c) 4 finger sul G, and consequently, since it is legato, to play the last note "0" open D.

Just put "0" on the last note if you want to have the open string to be heard (as you want).
Yinyue

Post by Yinyue »

OCTO wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 11:16 It is too obvious how to play the phrase that adding extra information will make it clutter, and time consuming.

Perfect, an answer bright as day. Thanks Octo, much appreciated.