Courtesy clef size

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Re: Courtesy clef size

Post by OCTO »

Knut wrote:I'm quite certain the Sternberg scoring application will, whenever it's released.
Seems that you are a beta tester...? :)
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:
Knut wrote:I'm quite certain the Sternberg scoring application will, whenever it's released.
Seems that you are a beta tester...? :)
I'm not, actually, and I don't think the development has gotten that far. I've been following Daniel's blog and the development of SMuFL closely, though.
Knut

Post by Knut »

Here's the Brahms snippet with small clefs touching the barline. I even put in a tenor clef at the end of the cello part for good measure. (I know the accidentals in the key change are way too close together. I usually use a special natural symbol for this, but don't have it in the new font.)
MenuetSmallClefs.jpg
MenuetSmallClefs.jpg (843.88 KiB) Viewed 10305 times
Octo, to answer your question of how to use these clefs in Finale (or any other software): There is really no way at present, except hiding the real courtesy clefs and replacing them with expressions. It' tedious if you have a lot of them.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Knut wrote:... how to use these clefs in Finale (or any other software): There is really no way at present, ...
I know that LilyPond and MuseScore utilize true courtesy clefs.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Knut

Post by Knut »

tisimst wrote:
Knut wrote:... how to use these clefs in Finale (or any other software): There is really no way at present, ...
I know that LilyPond and MuseScore utilize true courtesy clefs.
Thanks for pointing that out, tisimst. Yet another plus of the available open source software.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

That looks so much better, Knut. Thank you for this exercise.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:That looks so much better, Knut. Thank you for this exercise.
Thank you again for the input.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Knut wrote:Here's the Brahms snippet ...
Very beautiful done, Knut!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

Thank you, OCTO!