Noteheads touching in thirds

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
OCTO

Noteheads touching in thirds

Post by OCTO »

Dear fellow engravers, what is your opinion about the noteheads that touch each other - or not - in thirds?
Here is an example.

Interesting: I have always believed that Maestro 24 touches in thirds!

What is your favourite? Check PDF to evaluate it.
Attachments
NH.pdf
(3.23 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Re: Noteheads touching in thirds

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:Dear fellow engravers, what is your opinion about the noteheads that touch each other - or not - in thirds?
Here is an example.

Interesting: I have always believed that Maestro 24 touches in thirds!

What is your favourite? Check PDF to evaluate it.
2 and 4 looks best to me. Which one would depend on the flag shape as well as other aspects of the font.

Here's my own, for comparison:
Skjermbilde 2015-12-18 kl. 13.25.33.png
Skjermbilde 2015-12-18 kl. 13.25.33.png (31.4 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
They're pretty close to no. 2 in OCTO's example.
Peter West

Post by Peter West »

I agree, they should touch but not overlap. With 2 notes in thirds in spaces the touch point should be in the middle of the line width.
Finale 2008/9/10/11/12/14, Sibelius 6/7.5, In Design CC 2015, Illustrator CS4
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I also prefer that the notes touch. However, I just responded to Vaughan at the other thread that it might just be a matter of taste. It looks more "solid" if the notes touch; lighter if they do not. But perhaps there is a deeper typographical reason that I a unaware of operating here.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:I also prefer that the notes touch. However, I just responded to Vaughan at the other thread that it might just be a matter of taste. It looks more "solid" if the notes touch; lighter if they do not. But perhaps there is a deeper typographical reason that I a unaware of operating here.
I do think it's chiefly a matter of taste and design. After all, less angered noteheads would need to be wider to touch than those with a steeper angle. To me, it's kind of the same thing as using larger size mid-measure clefs to avoid gaps between clef and staff line, discussed in another thread. Or indeed angling beams to avoid wedges even for laser printed output; it's mostly about aesthetic preference.