Modern French ties?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Knut

Re: Modern French ties?

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:Your solutions sound much better than the Boulez. Here are a couple of other alternatives:
I can't remember seeing that kind of combined trill and tremolo notation. Isn't the trill line unnecessary in this case?
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I threw it in for fun, Knut, knowing that someone was going to comment on it. I do think I've have seen it somewhere (but where?) as a way to say that the tremolo is unmeasured. And it might also give more continuity in replacing the ties, if someone felt that the player might accent the downbeats. But it could be easily omitted. After all, who would accent the downbeats in a situation like this without accent marks? But has someone else seen this before? In piano music maybe? Liszt?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

Ah, I see!

I would definitely have done it in the same way as OCTO.
Also, I can't imagine that all three voices share a staff in the original instrumental part, but who knows.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I prefer making trills instead of tremolos, John. It saves space and reflect the exact rhythm.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Peter West

Post by Peter West »

They seemed to have been a fad in Paris in the early 20th century, but are no longer used as far as I can tell. In the 3rd example (given the trill notation), it seems to make sense, but would be far clearer if there were a short tie from the first note too, to warn the player.
Finale 2008/9/10/11/12/14, Sibelius 6/7.5, In Design CC 2015, Illustrator CS4
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

OCTO., I think your version with a single trill is best; I think most musicians feel a difference between a trill and a tremolo. Peter's suggestion seems advisable as well.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com