[Finale] Spacing issue, two voices

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
OCTO

Re: [Finale] Spacing issue, two voices

Post by OCTO »

erelievonen wrote:That should not be understood as a staccato dot, because a properly placed staccato dot would have to be placed on the stem side in this situation.
:idea: :idea: :idea: YES!! Bravo for clarification!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Re: RE: Re: [Finale] Spacing issue, two voices

Post by OCTO »

Knut wrote:Huh, that's interesting!
I wonder why the dot forces the music not to respace. Something they might be working on, perhaps?
Long discussion!:

https://musescore.org/en/node/107746
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Re: [Finale] Spacing issue, two voices

Post by Knut »

erelievonen wrote:
OCTO wrote:If i compare your LP output with the default of MS, I think that MS wants to avoid having the augm. dot over the notehead, implying that it might be the staccato symbol. So, above edited examples in MS are the most OK - for me.
Or Knut's, when the dot is more close to the :5
In my opinion, it would be preferable to have the noteheads of the half note and the quarter note as close to each other as possible (and not separated by the space taken by the dot) - this makes it easier to recognise them as sounding together - even if the half note's dot appeared above the quarter notehead. That should not be understood as a staccato dot, because a properly placed staccato dot would have to be placed on the stem side in this situation.
Thanks for pointing this out, erelivonen. I'm glad some of us are thinking straight. ;)