[Finale] Spacing issue, two voices

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
OCTO

[Finale] Spacing issue, two voices

Post by OCTO »

Hello everyone.
Is this normal spacing between beat 1 and 2 in voice 2, upper staff?
shot.png
shot.png (216.14 KiB) Viewed 12102 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Re: [Finale] Spacing issue, two voices

Post by Knut »

It depends on the context whether or not it's appropriate to push a note to the side like this without compensating for the lost horizontal space. In this case, however, especially with such tight conditions, I would definitely want to compensate with about 1/2 space to minimize the obstruction, like so:
Skjermbilde 2016-04-20 kl. 10.09.34.png
Skjermbilde 2016-04-20 kl. 10.09.34.png (46.15 KiB) Viewed 12096 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Yes, I also feel that these quarter notes should be equally spaced.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

Sibelius does that kind of adjustment as part of its spacing algorithm.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

OCTO wrote:Yes, I also feel that these quarter notes should be equally spaced.
As do I. And once again, LP doesn't disappoint (and nicely done, Knut!):
[Finale] Spacing issue, two voices-LP.png
[Finale] Spacing issue, two voices-LP.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 12080 times
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Nice LP, Abraham.
Knut, have you moved notes manually?
I will investigate if there are settings in Finale that do it automatically; if not, this is bizarre!
Knut

Post by Knut »

I used TG-Tools expand spacing.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a setting to fix this. I have a vague recollection that this was handled better in previous Finale versions, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I totally agree that it's disconcerting that Finale does not handle such a basic situation properly, but the way things are going, with all the problems introduced in their last two releases, I'm not surprised that this hasn't been addressed.

It is interesting to me how much improvement of Finale has been realized thorough external plug-ins in the last few years. This is of course a testament to the talents and generosity of plug-in developer Jari Williamsson, but it also says a lot about the priorities of MakeMusic's limited resources.
Last edited by Knut on 21 Apr 2016, 08:56, edited 2 times in total.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

THAT IS TRUE, this was better in the earlier Finale versions. I don't remember this issue to be so wrong before.
Or I miss something...
Knut

Post by Knut »

BTW, Finale relying on plug-ins for enhanced capabilities is nothing new. To match Lilypond's output in the example above, I had to use two separate plug-ins after note entry; one for the spacing, and one to clean up the beams and stems. Each of these are part of the two principal external plug-in collections for Finale going back to the days of OS9.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Abraham, is your example the default setting in LP?
Here is MuseScore 2:
shot 7.png
shot 7.png (32.42 KiB) Viewed 12063 times
Now, I am unsure, who is right?