Colored sheet music

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
qanunji

Colored sheet music

Post by qanunji »

Hello,
Im in the process of producing a hymns book, and the book designer suggested printing it in blue ( draft attached) to match the text color.
By default Im against it, but Id like to hear other opinions from experts like you guys.
So, what do you think?
Attachments
Capture+_2016-11-19-10-42-49.png
Capture+_2016-11-19-10-42-49.png (548.27 KiB) Viewed 11917 times
Knut

Re: Colored sheet music

Post by Knut »

This is an interesting one that rarely comes up in music type setting.

I agree with your objection for several reasons, the main one being that published music intended for sight reading is always printed in black for the highest possible contrast. More creativity has gone into the paper colour, which also can present problems, but colored printed sheet music is simply not done, or at least I haven't seen it.

That said, I see no reason why a slight colorization of the print can't work well for an informal publication like this seems to be, but it would highly depend on the paper colour and the amount of black used in the print. I would definitely not use a lighter marine blue colour in your screenshot, but a darker indigo might work with a somewhat greyish paper.

Bottom line for music in my view is that contrast and calmness is key; black print on some kind of off-white paper just seems like the ultimate combination.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I would avoid blue score. It is more difficult to read. Just music is black, everything else blue seems to be good.

Or if you really need blue, you can take darker variant (as Knut suggested), but I guess it must be in accordance with the color of the (Jewish) flag, that would not be appropriate...(?)

Check typo flag in measure 11.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Other than the color, which will create visibility problems for some, the overall layout and appearance is very attractive. A couple of simple improvements would make a big difference:

1. The first note in each measure is abnormally close to the bar line.
2. There is too much space between the chord letter name and the following modifier.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

qanunji, what application did you use for this? I like what you've done!
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
qanunji

Post by qanunji »

Check typo flag in measure 11.[/quote]

There are many more, he just picked up a sample.
qanunji

Post by qanunji »

Thank you guys for your informative answers.
I'll try to talk to the publication out of it, if it wont, maybe we'll settle for dark blue on more ivorish paper .
Regarding the score itself-
The designer just picked an early draft.
It was done in finale, and its my 1st profesional engraving project.
Im attaching a later version from that project, and would happy to hear your comments.
Im still wayting for the final book layout, to make last tweaks and consistency troughout the entire 120 hymns.
Attachments
Hamavdil - Sefarad.pdf
(690.6 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
Deror Yiqra - Yemen.pdf
(769.48 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The spacing in your later version is fine. Congratulations on a excellent first engraving job!

I noticed a few slight inconsistencies in the vertical level of some of the ornaments in both. The first and second ending brackets should not be joined in Hamavdil. And there is an absence of slurs throughout on different notes sung to the same syllable. is that a house style? Slurs always look better to me. In Deror the first and especially second ending number and bracket look a little close to the chord labels.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

qanunji

Post by qanunji »

John Ruggero wrote:The spacing in your later version is fine. Congratulations on a excellent first engraving job!

I noticed a few slight inconsistencies in the vertical level of some of the ornaments in both. The first and second ending brackets should not be joined in Hamavdil. And there is an absence of slurs throughout on different notes sung to the same syllable. is that a house style? Slurs always look better to me. In Deror the first and especially second ending number and bracket look a little close to the chord labels.
Thank you John!
Inconsistencies- I agree, Im waiting for the final page dimensions and then Ill revise everything.
That projecr started 2 years ago, on and off, and my style changed over time.
Slurs for melismas- I thought a lot about it, and decided to keep them out for several reasons:
1. This score is like a general chart, for singers and players alike.
2.unlike western music, The nature of this music is so melismatic that the slurs realy clutter the score and dictates wider space between the music, lyrics ad chords.
3. In general, scores for middle eastern music are not for performance. They serve as a skeleton for the performer.
I think the dashes and hyphens are sufficient in this case.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

You are most welcome, qanunji. I am glad that you have thought seriously about the slurs and have come up with a logical decision. Given what you have done so far, I have no doubt that your final result will be very fine. Please do take the format of the first and second endings seriously. Finale has ridiculous defaults for these endings, and I have seen a lot of non-standard handling of these on the forums as a result.