Unorthodox stem direction

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
benwiggy

Re: Unorthodox stem direction

Post by benwiggy »

So which notes would I emphasis in a three-note melisma with a slur, and how might I do it without? I can't imagine any singer giving equal importance to every note just because they don't have slurs on.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

I'm often tempted to leave out melisma slurs when I don't want want too smooth a delivery and also to add slurs to non-melismatic vocal lines when a smoothly joined legato cantabile is wanted. This practice was normal in 19th century opera, but has largely been abandoned now that beaming to the beat (a very good idea, except in recitative) has become normal for vocal music.

Quickly checking the full score of Berg's Lulu (Berg was one of the earlier composers to beam vocal music to the beat), I see a number of slurs covering non-melismas, but I've yet to notice a melisma without a slur (which doesn't mean there aren't any).
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I guess I'm saying that most singers are likely to sing a melisma as if it had a slur, even it doesn't, which renders it somewhat unprofitable.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

AFAIK, the slurs in vocal music covering one syllable is a common way to notate it. I think it is recommended in Gould.
I guess that is because a slur means "don't take air!". Otherwise we would have tenutos, or separated phrases.

I am not sure how it would sound without slurs... A good question, benwiggy!

But recently I faced a similar problem: I have ONE syllable and very, very long phrase (several measures). If I CUT that phrase in smaller phrases by adding slurs, how will that be perforemd? I simply cannot have an extremely long slur (two reasons: it is contrary to musical phrasing, it is difficult to add a flat slur in Finale = looks ugly). How would you do it?

I am not a vocal expert, so please enlighten me..
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
qanunji

Post by qanunji »

I would repeat that syllable, according to the phrasing:
o---o-------o
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I don't want a syllable to be repeated.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I have plenty of scores without slurs on long melismatic phrases. Admittedly, they tend to be Baroque Urtext. But no one sings them with random breaths and tenutos just because there's no slur.

Gould says that slurs confirm the syllabic underlay. So it doesn't actually add or alter the meaning, merely reinforces it.

She also advises that if slurs are used to indicate phrasing, then don't put syllabic slurs in as well.

As for flat slurs in Finale: I use 5% Inset for Very Long slurs, which helps. Some manual adjustment is necessary.