First page of today's work

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
John Ruggero

Re: First page of today's work

Post by John Ruggero »

I must disagree with my esteemed colleague, OCTO. I like the meter placement and size, and the individual instruments are clear to me without additional braces and in spite of the great notational activity in all parts. However, while the eye does find the measure numbers, they are certainly unobtrusive, which I am not sure is a good thing. One longs for enclosures in this case.

I have a few questions:

I notice that "accel." has no period. Style?

What was the music font used?

WIll there be parts or will they play from score? If there are parts, the cueing would be interesting to see!
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:I must disagree with my esteemed colleague, OCTO.
;)

...I have never performed or written this kind of music, but seems that it could be possible with parts.
If there are no so many pages it could be possible to execute from the score, having each "score" adjusted (reduced others' lines).
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Peter West

Post by Peter West »

John: the Durand style uses no abbreviation points, so accel is correct in this case.

Octo: given that this is a quartet and all staves are present on all pages, I think this is clear. I have tried to make as much space between staves as possible to maintain clarity. Perhaps the position of the time signature on the custom staves makes the layout ambiguous to your eye? The principle I've used is that the time signature remains centred on the lines representing what is played, and all bowing and other effects are positioned above. This is perhaps an unresolvable matter of conflicting opinions. My choice needs to be determined by the client.

Both: Measure numbers are fixed by the style sheet to 10 point Minion Pro fixed size (not varying with the staff size). I think they are clear enough to read without being obtrusive.
Finale 2008/9/10/11/12/14, Sibelius 6/7.5, In Design CC 2015, Illustrator CS4
billstevens

Post by billstevens »

That tune will be stuck in my head all day.

Bill Stevens
Knut

Post by Knut »

billstevens wrote:That tune will be stuck in my head all day.
Haha, mine too!
Peter West

Post by Peter West »

You should worry, I've been on this job 12 days now!.
Not as bad as spending a month reconstructing the film score version of WSS "I feel Pretty". I was sure I was going insane with that one.
Attachments
WSS fs with flashes 08082012 (dragged).pdf
(112.66 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
Finale 2008/9/10/11/12/14, Sibelius 6/7.5, In Design CC 2015, Illustrator CS4