Re-setting old Novello Choral Octavo

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
OCTO

Re: Re-setting old Novello Choral Octavo

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 04 May 2017, 16:07 Can you post a document with your dream Finale slurs?
Above is from your score, below an idea (my preference).
shot 1.png
shot 1.png (22.75 KiB) Viewed 11628 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Fred G. Unn, thank you for these postings! They are very valuable indeed.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Octo - isn't your slur more curved and less flat? I thought flatter slurs were the ideal, which I presumed meant small inset values.
What inset values do you use?
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

My slur is maybe more curved in general, but my point here is that the start and end of slur should for my taste be less curved. Your is more flat in the middle, but very curled at noteheads. I prefer less difference.
My slur is manually edited.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

OCTO wrote: 08 May 2017, 09:43My slur is manually edited.
What, every one?

Wow. I'm not sure I would have the time to do that. And even if I did, I'm not sure that's how I'd want to spend my time! :)

I am however keen to get the best results from the settings possible in Finale. So I'd love to see your settings for slurs. Or indeed, anyone else's.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

This particular slur was edited.
Here are settings from one of my documents. Not all documents are the same (I would love to have it). Here for piano music.
Attachments
shot 4.jpg
shot 4.jpg (71.82 KiB) Viewed 11591 times
shot 3.jpg
shot 3.jpg (68.65 KiB) Viewed 11591 times
shot 2.jpg
shot 2.jpg (62.7 KiB) Viewed 11591 times
shot 1.jpg
shot 1.jpg (144.88 KiB) Viewed 11591 times
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Thanks. Very useful. Though you don't use "Engraver Slurs". Why not?
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I have learned that from my/our friend Wess, who recommended it. Since I have stopped using the engraver slurs, some of them need adjusting BUT they are loking more balanced and "manually done with care". I ask my copyist not to use the engraving slurs either.

Finale does either lift or stretch but sometimes both lift AND stretch are needed for a satisfactory outcome.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

benwiggy, there is a discussion of slur settings at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107. I continue to use the settings as revised a little later in the thread by Knut and continue to be pleased with the results. I have only a little hand work to do generally and the slurs have the pleasing arc mentioned by OCTO. I have noticed a few things that might cause me to revise the settings again in the future.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I can't see any discussion of why using the Engraving Slurs is a bad thing. I've just tried turning them off, and all the slurs need more work to avoid stems and other things. They all seem to drop significantly.

But some lovely settings for slurs there.

Apropos of nothing, I seem to remember reading somewhere that there should be (or that a style exists where there is) a difference between ties and slurs, but I'm not sure how I would enforce that.