Re-setting old Novello Choral Octavo

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
OCTO

Re: Re-setting old Novello Choral Octavo

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 10 May 2017, 17:07 Apropos of nothing, I seem to remember reading somewhere that there should be (or that a style exists where there is) a difference between ties and slurs, but I'm not sure how I would enforce that.
I had a setting that allowed slur to have bolder stroke on one side, they looked pretty good.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Re: Re-setting old Novello Choral Octavo

Post by Knut »

benwiggy wrote: 10 May 2017, 17:07 I can't see any discussion of why using the Engraving Slurs is a bad thing. I've just tried turning them off, and all the slurs need more work to avoid stems and other things. They all seem to drop significantly.

But some lovely settings for slurs there.

Apropos of nothing, I seem to remember reading somewhere that there should be (or that a style exists where there is) a difference between ties and slurs, but I'm not sure how I would enforce that.
If you use the slur settings John is referring to, you shouldn't need to switch off engraver slurs globally. Certainly, there are cases where engraver slurs will give odd results using these settings as well, but those are rare enough that you can turn the feature off individually without much trouble. In fact, I haven't run into unpredictable slur results (i.e., different shapes at different zoom levels or between screen and print) with these settings at all.