Font SEBASTIANO

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
John Ruggero

Re: Font SEBASTIANO

Post by John Ruggero »

The straight part of that flat is wedge-shaped. Unique.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:The straight part of that flat is wedge-shaped. Unique.
This is actually fairly common. Henle, Bärenreiter, Peters and many other publishers use flats with wedge shaped stems of varying thickness.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

How interesting. I never noticed this before, perhaps because the wedge is not usually as pronounced as in this font. As you imply, some fonts have wedges that are so slight that it is difficult to discern them, while others are more pronounced, and some are non-existent. It seems to have to do with how bold the character is. If the vertical line is slim, it tends to be less wedge-shaped. And this is logical given the shape of the symbol and the way the vertical line must join the rest.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, Maestro, Engraver and Petrucci have completely straight stems, as does your font, and this gives a nice thick and thin contrast. Wess's Vintage fonts has strong wedge-shaped stems, but he is still able to preserve good contrast between thick and thin. Opus has an hour-glass shape, as does Bravura: but while the Opus flat is delicate, the Bravura flat does not have good thick and thin balance to my eyes and is not as well-designed as the sharp and natural.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I use the original Sebastian font for its figured bass numerals, which are very nice.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote:I use the original Sebastian font for its figured bass numerals, which are very nice.
Hello Wiggy. What is the ORIGINAL?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

If you look at the Sebastiano page, it starts by saying it's a development of an existing open-source font on github. There's a link thee.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

By Abraham Lee?

It is nice font, a bit strange, squared, but works nice.
Interesting — now crossover topic with clef design — but check the cautionary :t and different shapes of :s !!!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-mYgT ... kwZzQ/view
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
tisimst

Font SEBASTIANO

Post by tisimst »

OCTO wrote:By Abraham Lee?
Actually, I didn't create it. It was done originally by Florian Kretlow and called "Sebastian". IIRC, it was encoded to work with Finale. I became aware of the font after Florian made it available under SIL OFL. I eventually proceeded to make a derivative encoding for LilyPond and called it "Sebastiano". So, yes it's mine, but hardly my design. I think I modified a few glyphs to taste, but it's mostly just a result of rearranging the glyphs around.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
jrethorst

Post by jrethorst »

MJCube wrote:In the example above the staff lines and stems are way too thin to match with the font characters.
Is that an issue with the font or with settings in the program?
John Rethorst
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

It is program settings.