Font SEBASTIANO

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
OCTO

Font SEBASTIANO

Post by OCTO »

This is my first attempt to use Abraham Lee's fonts in Finale, here the font called Sebastiano.
Thanks to unicode support and easy switch of symbols I have managed to manually swap fonts in the default Finale's document. The font must be reduced to 22 pt.
Here is an example:
Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 11.47.24.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 11.47.24.png (254.78 KiB) Viewed 12614 times
More info here.
http://leighverlag.blogspot.se/2014/12/ ... tiano.html
(Thanks to Finale's new tool to make auto-annotation, see attached annotation file)
Attachments
sebastiano-26.zip
(4.58 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Re: Font SEBASTIANO

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:The font must be reduced to 22 pt.
That's weird. I thought Lilypond uses the same scaling factor as Finale. It's default font, Emmentaler, surely does.
OCTO

Re: RE: Font SEBASTIANO

Post by OCTO »

OCTO wrote:This is my first attempt to use Abraham Lee's fonts in Finale, here the font called Sebastiano.
Thanks to unicode support and easy switch of symbols I have managed to manually swap fonts in the default Finale's document. The font must be reduced to 22 pt.
Here is an example:
Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 11.47.24.png
More info here.
http://leighverlag.blogspot.se/2014/12/ ... tiano.html
(Thanks to Finale's new tool to make auto-annotation, see attached annotation file)
Sorry I was not so clear. I used Sebastiano 26.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

Sebastiano 26 shouldn't be any larger. The number should refer to the staff size intended to be used with the font, not the font size itself. At least that's the way the Emmentaler font is set up.

If the problem was that the font was to heavy at 24 pt. I would suggest using Sebastiano 18 instead, which should be the font intended for use with a 6–7 mm staff size.
OCTO

Re: RE: Re: Font SEBASTIANO

Post by OCTO »

Knut wrote:Sebastiano 26 shouldn't be any larger. The number should refer to the staff size intended to be used with the font, not the font size itself. At least that's the way the Emmentaler font is set up.

If the problem was that the font was to heavy at 24 pt. I would suggest using Sebastiano 18 instead, which should be the font intended for use with a 6–7 mm staff size.
Ok! Now I understand the difference, thanks Knut!
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Just to clear things up, the only font currently that actually supports the -XX design sizes is Emmentaler. In other words, at the time of this writing, each of the Sebastiano-XX fonts are identical in every way (except for the embedded subtables, but that's irrelevant outside of their usage in LilyPond). The only reason the Sebastiano-XX fonts even exist is because LilyPond expects the -XX fonts to be there. It goes deeper than that, but I won't bore you with the details there (if anyone really is interested, let me know).

Now, in case anyone is curious, LilyPond's standard size is the -20 font, which means it was intended for a 20pt staff-height. Since everyone does their calculations in pt sizes (just kidding), here are the equivalent staff sizes in millimeters (where 1mm = 2.834646pt):

-11: 11pt, 3.88mm
-13: 13pt, 4.59mm
-14: 14pt, 4.94mm
-16: 16pt, 5.64mm
-18: 18pt, 6.35mm
-20: 20pt, 7.06mm
-23: 23pt, 8.11mm
-26: 26pt, 9.17mm

In LilyPond, the font used is based on whichever font is closest (i.e., staff sizes smaller than 11pt use -11 and staff sizes larger than 26pt use 26pt). Technically, you could use any -XX variant you want because the relative scale within the font itself is the same (i.e., based on a 1000 unit-per-em staff height--sorry for the font jargon). The various Emmentaler fonts were designed with different weights so they appear better at their intended print size. None of my other fonts (at the moment) follow this philosophy, but this I intend to change that :-).

In regards to Knut's comment, my experience says that the font should be sized correctly in Finale since its fonts (e.g., Maestro) are sized the same within the font. I haven't used Finale as much as other programs, so I could be mistaken.

As a side note, if you look at the GitHub page I point to in that blog post, you will find the original font files which were originally designed for use with Finale 2009, so maybe you should give those a try and let us know how that goes? Here's the direct link: https://github.com/fkretlow/sebastian/t ... redist/otf. To download Florian's original files, click on the font name and then click on "View raw" and the download should begin.

Just for the record, "Sebastiano" is a derivative of Florian Kretlow's "Sebastian" font. I can't take any credit for its design, only its re-configuration for use with LilyPond. I had to change the name to comply with the SIL OFL license terms.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

In the example above the staff lines and stems are way too thin to match with the font characters.
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

What do you think of it, OCTO? Looks nice? (Good job, Abraham, by the way).
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

DatOrganistTho wrote:What do you think of it, OCTO? Looks nice? (Good job, Abraham, by the way).
They are nice, however I think :f looks a bit to fat.
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

OCTO wrote:
DatOrganistTho wrote:What do you think of it, OCTO? Looks nice? (Good job, Abraham, by the way).
They are nice, however I think :f looks a bit to fat.
Yes, makes me wonder what the original designer was thinking!
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer