Maestro font

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
NicholasG

Maestro font

Post by NicholasG »

Recently, I had to transcribe the same piece in Finale and Sibelius. I used Maestro in both. When I printed the music, I was surprised to see that the two fonts looked different. I guess way to describe it, is that the Finale maestro looked more eligant than Sibelius. I would have thought that the same font would look the same in both apps.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
1 TB Flash Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 4 TB external HD
Logic Pro X 10.2, Cubase 9
Final 25.2, Sibelius 8.5
UR 44, M1, Keystation 88
Adobe CC
Fred G. Unn

Re: Maestro font

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Can you post a comparative sample for us to check out?
Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Yes, it would be interesting to see an example. It also depends on what you find elegant. Even with the same font, there are different spacing algorithms, and the slurs and ties are different. Even the layout on the page is set up differently in both programs by default.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

NicholasG wrote:I used Maestro in both. When I printed the music, I was surprised to see that the two fonts looked different.
The font by itself should look completely the same if it is the same font file.
As Vaughan has said, these settings can be the case. It can also be deifferent beam settings, lines settings (staff, bar), font for text you use, many things can determinate the final outlook, not just fonts.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
N. Grossingink

Post by N. Grossingink »

If you want to make your Sibelius output look more like Finale, take a look at the following link:
http://www.sibeliusblog.com/tips/making ... -sibelius/

The suggestions can be used to go either way - Sibelius > Finale or Finale > Sibelius. From what I've noticed, slurs and ties in Sibelius look much more different than their Finale counterparts. I've seen publisher's sample pages on the web where Sibelius output has been "reverse engineered" to look a lot like Finale, the only tip-off being the "Opus" treble clef.

N.