NCS

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
Peter West

NCS

Post by Peter West »

Hi All

I have been using new Century Schoolbook for Boosey and Hawkes for over 20 years. I recently upgraded OS to mac OSX.11 (El Capitan) and now all I get for NCS are black boxes.

Does anyone know why this is, and if it has no solution, is there a way of getting an up to date version without giving Linotype £200?

Thanks
Finale 2008/9/10/11/12/14, Sibelius 6/7.5, In Design CC 2015, Illustrator CS4
tisimst

Re: NCS

Post by tisimst »

Peter, I'm not sure exactly what's the problem (especially since I don't personally own a Mac), but you don't seem to be alone in this. On the LilyPond User forum, a member mentioned how a particular text font all of a sudden wasn't working and after some research/testing, this is what he said that fixed the problem:
I manually moved all fonts from "/Users/.../Library/Fonts" to "/Library/Fonts". In the fontbook.app preferences, the standard location for font installation was set to „computer“ before)
I can't elaborate on it further and I have no idea if this helps, but maybe it's a starting place to finding the solution.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I remember clearly that a security update from Apple caused otf types to stop working in 2011.
I guess it is a security patch by Apple again.
And I guess they are otf?
Otf types have, afaik, ability for RUN command, therefore some viruses could be spread by them. It was just a security patch, but no malware was present at all.
Solutions: try to figure out if there is any security setting that could solve it, or convert the fonts to ttf (with caution! - save old versions).
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

New Century Schoolbook works fine for me, as do all my PostScript, TT and OTF fonts. However, there is a problem in El Cap with third-party font managers (Suitcase, FontExplorerX) activating Type 1 PS fonts if they reside outside the user domain. I think this may have been addressed by updated versions of these products, but you will need to check with them.

I don't remember any problem with OTF fonts in 2011 (I use a lot of OTF fonts). Though, lest we forget, the 10.6.7 update to Snow Leopard killed off OTF fonts, and Apple had to issue a "Font Update".

Might be worth making sure that the font isn't corrupt.