Quarter rest design

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
Fred G. Unn

Re: Quarter rest design

Post by Fred G. Unn »

John Ruggero wrote:I am curious, Fred.
I'll give it another day or so just so more people can have a shot at judging blind, then I'll post the graphic with the names.

They are all very common though and are the stock fonts that are included with Finale and Sibelius, plus Steinberg's aforementioned Bravura font. The only third party font is a very well known one that has been around a very long time. In fact it might pre-date any of the others.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Knut's rests are one of the most beautiful I know so far...
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:Knut, I think that your 1/4 rest is perfect in terms of design, but is angled a little too much to the left (what I meant by "falling forward") for my taste.
Thank you very much for your feedback, John! I don't quite see your point regarding the angled 1/4 rests, but based on your comments above, I'm guessing it's some kind of optical illusion caused by the intersection between the lower counter and the thick middle stroke being to long (e.g., sticking out to much to the right)? To my eye at least, all the posted 1/4 rests look perfectly upright to me. Out of curiosity, though, I checked with both Durand and Henle's to see how their 1/4 rests look. Durand's have an even longer offshoot to the right than mine. Henle's have the same feature as well, albeit moderate.

John Ruggero wrote:I like all of your other rests, but agree that the balls at the end of the 1/8 etc. rests are a little big.
As I mentioned earlier, reducing the balls will come at the expense of weight balance with the other rests, but I will certainly consider reducing them/using the prior versions since both you and Fred have pointed this out. I'm guessing both you and Fred find the the ball of the first two 1/8 rests in Fred's example to be too big as well?

Thanks again!
Last edited by Knut on 08 Oct 2015, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:Knut's rests are one of the most beautiful I know so far...
Thank you, Octo, you're too kind!
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Knut, you are absolutely right. It is that lower projection sticking out below the rest of the symbol that gives me this impression. With yours, it is very slight. I am sorry to be so picky, but obviously you are looking for honest opinions.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:I am sorry to be so picky, but obviously you are looking for honest opinions.
Obviously! Your pickiness is greatly appreciated. :)
Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

I agree about Knut's rests being very beautiful, although I share John's gut feeling about the quarter rest falling to the left. I also agree with a preference for quarter rests nos. 2 and 5 in the comparison and part of that has to do with the fact that the rightmost angles are [almost] vertically aligned. Knut's upper right point (also softened, which is attractive) is quite a bit to the left of the lower right point, and that's what gives me the impression of its 'falling over'. I very much like the shorter value rests!
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

I suppose most have figured it out by now, but the fonts are, from L to R:
Maestro, Engraver, Petrucci, Opus, Sonata, Helsinki, Bravura