Font feedback

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
Knut

Re: Font feedback

Post by Knut »

tisimst wrote:As others have mentioned, you are definitely to be congratulated, Knut! The italic font design looks very nice, but I'm inclined to agree with Fluffeh's assessment about its weight. If possible, I would recommend thinning it down. It just seems unnecessarily too black, like if I had used a "caption" optical font in place of the "display" variant, if you get what I mean.

All in all, it's a great looking set!

Thank you, tisimst!

Please see my reply to Fluffeh above for a comment on the font weight. Perhaps I shouldn't have chosen stage directions from an opera as my first showcase, but it seemed like a good way to demonstrate both spacing and glyph proportions, as well as an extended collection of characters.
Knut

Post by Knut »

I would like to thank everyone for their comments thus far, and direct you to the initial thread with early testing examples of the text font design here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82

This thread will give a bit more background on why such a substantial weight was chosen, and you are all welcome to comment on whether or not you think that was a good decision, here of course.
OCTO

Re: RE: Re: Font feedback

Post by OCTO »

tisimst wrote: If possible, I would recommend thinning it down. It just seems unnecessarily too black, like if I had used a "caption" optical font in place of the "display" variant, if you get what I mean.
On the other side, I like the boldness. Perhaps matter of taste but size at 12pt read from 1-2 meters distance must be emboldened to be easy to read. Similar to conducting scores when staff size gets down to 4,5mm.

For educational material (music theory and analysis) the regular serif is OK when staff size is 7mm and read at table.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:
tisimst wrote: If possible, I would recommend thinning it down. It just seems unnecessarily too black, like if I had used a "caption" optical font in place of the "display" variant, if you get what I mean.
On the other side, I like the boldness. Perhaps matter of taste but size at 12pt read from 1-2 meters distance must be emboldened to be easy to read. Similar to conducting scores when staff size gets down to 4,5mm.

For educational material (music theory and analysis) the regular serif is OK when staff size is 7mm and read at table.
Thank you for the support, OCTO.

Nevertheless, here are two different versions of a song with translated text in PDF format; one with the original font, and one with a somewhat reduced version (the glyphs have not yet been cleaned up, though). Please take a look, print it and tell me which weight you prefer. Also, if you think the thinnest one still is too heavy, please say so, but keep in mind that designing a matching roman style might be a better remedy to the weight issue than struggling to make the weight match New Century Schoolbook (or any other font).

My reasoning should be clear when viewing these pages. In the thinnest version, the contrast between thick and thin lines is relatively high, an aspect that I've been trying to reduce with the thicker original. However, this particular italic style requires a certain amount of contrast, so it becomes necessary to make the whole font a bit bolder for the thin strokes to be thick enough. (Think of Bayard-Nizet's Espressivo font, and how thick that actually is).

And of course, please do not extract the fonts!

Thank you all!
Last edited by Knut on 23 Aug 2016, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
odod

Post by odod »

.. the 8th rest look almost similar to Emmentaler font i guess
and the 8th flag look a bit like bravura ..its thickness almost similar
i would like to ask what is the consideration of designing a flag ?
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
Knut

Post by Knut »

odod wrote:wow, why would i spent soo long to scan a printed music sheet if i knew it can be extracted :( ..
Because extracting copyrighted fonts from pdf files is illegal.
anyway .. the 8th rest look almost similar to Emmentaler font i guess
That would depend on the design of the rest of your font, and your personal preference. The main considerations are width, length and weight. The difficult thing is to make the different flags look cohesive and evenly spaced.
odod

Post by odod »

Knut wrote:
odod wrote:wow, why would i spent soo long to scan a printed music sheet if i knew it can be extracted :( ..
Because extracting copyrighted fonts from pdf files is illegal.

anyway .. the 8th rest look almost similar to Emmentaler font i guess
That would depend on the design of the rest of your font, and your personal preference. The main considerations are width, length and weight. The difficult thing is to make the different flags look cohesive and evenly spaced.
Is scanning or tracing the images also against copyrighted font ?
I mean so many similar fonts alike ..
But nevermind i got the point :)

And i think your down-stemmed tail should touch the notehead so it would be much prettier .. (I guess)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

(Yes, if the font or printed symbols are not in the public domain it is not legal. Remember that the design is also copyprotected. Such are cases with Apple and Samsung. Apple designed a phone of quadratic size, with one button on the bottom center, with touch icons. That was the case...)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Actually, font "designs" are not copyrighted, just like any other piece of art is not copyrighted. What _is_ copyrighted is the digital data that makes up the font you actually use. It is also not technically illegal to re-outline the glyphs from a copyrighted font that have been physically printed out and scanned back into the computer. However, it certainly brings into question the ethics of the individual's actions when that is done, especially when the individual redistributes, or worse resells, the re-outlined font file claiming it as their own unless the original license allows such.

Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Actually, font "designs" are not copyrighted, just like any other piece of art is not copyrighted. What _is_ copyrighted is the digital data that makes up the font you actually use. It is also not technically illegal to re-outline the glyphs from a copyrighted font that have been physically printed out and scanned back into the computer. However, it certainly brings into question the ethics of the individual's actions when that is done, especially when the individual redistributes, or worse resells, the re-outlined font file claiming it as their own unless the original license allows such.

Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge