Clef design comparision

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
John Ruggero

Re: Clef design comparision

Post by John Ruggero »

It is getting better and better. It is hard for me to see a difference in the boldness, but didn't you also add width, or is this an optical illusion?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:It looks much better for my eyes.
I think that some width should be added on :t but remaining the boldness... Possible?
All the clefs should be very close to the same width, so this is not possible without changing the widths of the other clefs as well. Mind you, the :b is a bit little bit wider because of the dots, but that's intentional. The :a is just as wide as the :t.
John Ruggero wrote:It is getting better and better. It is hard for me to see a difference in the boldness, but didn't you also add width, or is this an optical illusion?
You're absolutely right, a shaved a little bit off the first one to make the second one less bold. The last one posted is just as wide as the first one but a bit less bold.

Here's a bit more context, which gives me the opportunity to showcase sharps, different sized time signature numbers and one of the braces also included in the font.
Menuet Signatures.png
Menuet Signatures.png (54.63 KiB) Viewed 11517 times
Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Very attractive font, Knut!
While the sharps are beautiful, won't they be much wider compared to naturals and flats? If that difference is too great, it can create aesthetic spacing problems.
Knut

Post by Knut »

Vaughan wrote:Very attractive font, Knut!
While the sharps are beautiful, won't they be much wider compared to naturals and flats? If that difference is too great, it can create aesthetic spacing problems.
Thank you, Vaughan!
A little wider, yes, but no more than usual, I would say.
Menuet Accidentals.png
Menuet Accidentals.png (294.51 KiB) Viewed 11502 times
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

All of these symbols are beautiful, Knut. Congratulations! You could even give the slightly angled version of the treble clef as an alternative version for those who like that style. But for me, the upright version is the best.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:All of these symbols are beautiful, Knut. Congratulations! You could even give the slightly angled version of the treble clef as an alternative version for those who like that style. But for me, the upright version is the best.
Thank you, John, and thanks again for your input!
That is a good Idea.
Vaughan

Post by Vaughan »

Very good and well-balanced accidentals! A problem which might very well be inherent in the basic shape of accidentals is that while I experience the distance between the sharp and the notehead as aesthetically pleasing, the distance between the natural and the notehead is too great. Although I don't necessarily like it, this may be one of the reasons why some music fonts use relatively more compressed sharps: it enables the entire space of notehead + between space + accidental to be more the same.
I really like John's idea of providing two versions of the treble clef.
Knut

Post by Knut »

Vaughan wrote:Very good and well-balanced accidentals!
Thanks, Vaughan!
Vaughan wrote:A problem which might very well be inherent in the basic shape of accidentals is that while I experience the distance between the sharp and the notehead as aesthetically pleasing, the distance between the natural and the notehead is too great. Although I don't necessarily like it, this may be one of the reasons why some music fonts use relatively more compressed sharps: it enables the entire space of notehead + between space + accidental to be more the same.
I really like John's idea of providing two versions of the treble clef.
Actually, in this case, this is not inherent in the shapes at all. In Finale there is no way to tune the distance between accidentals in sharp, flat or cancelled key signatures separately. Long ago I figured out that adding a little extra space to the accidental character in the font itself would allow me to set the accidentals in key signatures to zero width without the naturals in cancellations colliding.

In the context of the running music (if that is indeed an expression), the difference is relatively minor to me, but since you spotted it, it might be a good idea to have two different characters for each separate case.
prokofiev

Post by prokofiev »

Here is my contribution of :t
cleffy2.jpg
cleffy2.jpg (18.09 KiB) Viewed 11451 times
Attachments
Cleffy-Regular.ttf.zip
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
Knut

Post by Knut »

In light of the earlier discussion on rotation, number three from the left is the best one to me.
All the clefs look very similar to the one in the Engraver font set, though.