Clef design comparision

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
jrethorst

Re: Clef design comparision

Post by jrethorst »

John Ruggero wrote:I wonder if a case could be made for using clefs and engraving styles of the period for older music, rather like period instruments.
A good case could be made for that.

John R.
John Rethorst
jrethorst

Post by jrethorst »

Some years ago there was a notation program named HB Music Engraver. It had interface issues and was not for sale for very long, but its output was nice. See http://www.classicalguitarschool.net/en/ for a number of free pieces for classical guitar done with it.

Its default font, "Interlude", was okay except it had a distinctive treble clef. As nicely balanced as Sonata's, which most aren't, and good play between thick and thin. IMHO.
Last edited by jrethorst on 14 Apr 2016, 23:06, edited 2 times in total.
John Rethorst
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

jrethorst wrote:Some years ago there was a notation program named HB Music Engraver. It had interface issues and was not for sale for very long, but its output was nice. See http://www.classicalguitarschool.net/en/ for a number of free pieces for classical guitar done with it.

Its default font, "Interlude", was okay except it had a distinctive treble clef.
Interlude G clef.pdf
I wondered where that font came from! It is used in my church's hymnal and I've always been appalled by it (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone who may like it). Thanks for sharing, John.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I much prefer the 'T'-shape Alto clef in Knut's Menuet example. There are also some K-shaped ones.
jrethorst

Post by jrethorst »

Some glyphs in Interlude aren't as nice. BTW I tried to show it inline in my post but I'm new here and couldn't figure that out. How can I do that? and I'll revise my post. Thanks.
Last edited by jrethorst on 14 Apr 2016, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
John Rethorst
Knut

Post by Knut »

benwiggy wrote:I much prefer the 'T'-shape Alto clef in Knut's Menuet example. There are also some K-shaped ones.
Thanks, Ben! Although, I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'T-shape'. This glyph is based on Durand's golden age c clef design, which I think is a refined version of the K-shaped clef used in older french engravings.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

It's got right-angles! ;-)
Knut

Post by Knut »

jrethorst wrote:Some glyphs in Interlude aren't as nice. BTW I tried to show it inline in my post but I'm new here and couldn't figure that out. How can I do that? and I'll revise my post. Thanks.
There is a 'place inline' button below the main window in the message editor, but it won't work with pdf files, unfortunately.
Knut

Post by Knut »

benwiggy wrote:It's got right-angles! ;-)
Ah, I see.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Knut, can you list the fonts in the original post of this thread?

I particularly like the last one on the right.