OTF in Finale, and problems

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
Knut

Re: OTF in Finale, and problems

Post by Knut »

tisimst wrote:For some reason, the fonts that come with Sibelius DO show duplicates
I'm not sure why Sibelius requires the alternate code points, but I've noticed that if I remove the alternate encodings, then Sibelius can't see the glyphs.
The alternate code points in the Sibelius fonts are used to make the glyphs easily accessible via the keyboard. As it happens, this also means that they are largely compatible with Finale out of the box, because Finale's fonts use the Western Latin codepage exclusively.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I see, Abraham.
I have opened Maestro.suit, that's what I have on my system. And there are duplicates, when I am back home I will post a picture.

Maybe I should use the postscript version? Is ps the same for OS X and Win?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO, according to the website, Glyphs Mini supports both Latin, Greek and Cyrillic and Symbol character sets, which means that there must be a setting to specify which of these codepages to support in the font.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Here are attached screenshots from FF, one that shows doubled symbols (example is selected "A"), and another is glyph's property.

Regarding Glyphs Mini: I have tried to find options, for instance encoding, but there are really nowhere that options. There is a demo version too.
Attachments
shot 1.png
shot 1.png (54.39 KiB) Viewed 10758 times
shot.png
shot.png (98.98 KiB) Viewed 10758 times
Knut

Post by Knut »

I've checked out the Glyphs Mini demo, and unfortunately the opening of font files as well as some other aspects have apparently been disabled. I did discover a couple of things, though, and I'd like to correct one of my earlier statements for the benefit of future readers of this thread.
Knut wrote:the chosen font format is nevertheless irrelevant.
While this is technically correct, it is important to know that each font format traditionally uses it's own version of the Latin codepage. In FontLab, these codepages are not connected to any specific font format, and can be selected completely independently. That is not the case for Glyphs Mini, however, and since GM (demo) only has the ability to generate OpenType fonts, the output will not match Maestro, which, as odod correctly pointed out earlier, uses the MacOS Roman codepage, the default codepage for PostScript Type 1 Latin Fonts.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Ah that is bad, I wasted 45 €...
I might continue with FF, and find solution there.

To anyone using FF: if you have a sfd file that is generating fonts fully working with Finale, I would be more than happy if you could attach an empty template.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Christof Schardt

Post by Christof Schardt »

DatOrganistTho wrote:... reason for the SMuFL. Lots of people bash it, ...
I never heard this, at least in the Smufl-discussion list. What is the criticism? And what the alternative?
Software Developer, Musician and Engraving Aficionado
PriMus 1.1
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

OCTO wrote:To anyone using FF: if you have a sfd file that is generating fonts fully working with Finale, I would be more than happy if you could attach an empty template.
I sent you a PM with the file. I can't confirm that re-generating fonts from it is working, but at least you shouldn't see the duplicates you saw before. BTW, what version of FF are you using?
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Thank you a lot.
I use FF version 27 May 2015.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Ok, I have discovered one important thing with Glyphs Mini, concerning Finale.
Finale cannot see generated fonts if there are not separators: space, nbspace, CR, .notdef, .null
I don't know if all need to be there, but at least I have got a test font that can be seen from Finale.

I am quite disappointed with Finale and how it handles fonts. Some working fonts suddenly stop working, and it is only application I have problems with fonts, and it is only application that cannot see some fonts.