Fonts for Lyrics

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
OCTO

Re: Fonts for Lyrics

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote:One other thing to remember is that Finale reduces the lyric size along with the staff reduction. A 16pt lyric on a 75% staff size will appear as 12pt, unless you set a Fixed size for your font. And of course some fonts appear smaller than others at the same point size.
Good to know.
benwiggy wrote:Bulmer MT Display: This is the one I have chosen for my house style. It's a very crisp, modern face, and the Display style has a nice metric that avoids displacing notes.
Yes, I have noticed that, very beautiful font indeed.

Here is my edit of FreeSerif - emboldened by 16 and narrowed to 88%. It is more narrow and somehow visible. Your tests are welcome.
Attachments
FreeSerifNarrowSB.zip
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 700 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Here's a chart comparing different fonts for use as lyrics. It's possible that this says something about Finale's spacing, too.
Attachments
Lyric fonts.pdf
(838.88 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
odod

Post by odod »

Free Serif.png
Free Serif.png (940.38 KiB) Viewed 19022 times
Bulmer.png
Bulmer.png (937.25 KiB) Viewed 19022 times

Comparation between Bulmer and Freeserif
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

odod wrote:Free Serif.pngBulmer.png

Comparation between Bulmer and Freeserif
Thanks. You mean Free Serif Narrow SB, which I have provided?
At my screen FSNSM is clearly more visible even from the longer distance, and at the same time takes less space. What are your opinions?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
odod

Post by odod »

yes, your font sir .. indeed very crisp and clear .. i love this one .. beautiful
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Interesting. I like all the fonts mentioned EXCEPT Bulmer. It is too thin, compressed and hard to read.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

To my eye all of the lyrics in both of the latest samples are much smaller than necessary. With the notes spaced so very wide, the lyrics could be at least 25% larger, and then they’d be more comparable to the size of the notes for legibility. Don’t forget that singers often must focus on the words even more than the notes.
odod

Post by odod »

MJCube wrote:To my eye all of the lyrics in both of the latest samples are much smaller than necessary. With the notes spaced so very wide, the lyrics could be at least 25% larger, and then they’d be more comparable to the size of the notes for legibility. Don’t forget that singers often must focus on the words even more than the notes.
what i did is to test the font with the smallest size, to make sure its visibility .. and Freeseriff just did it compared to bulmer

benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

After vacillating once more, I've come to agree that Bulmer can be a little unclear at small sizes, (though I tend to use it large enough). I've not found anything to beat the legibility of Minion (Condensed Caption is now the preferred face). I think OUP use it?
However, it doesn't quite suit the style of the other fonts on the page. I use Bodoni for titling and Monotype Modern for expressions.

I "designed" a version of Bodoni Book -- condensing it by 85% and boldening it by only about 5ems. Also I increased the X-height a bit. It looks quite good, but still not quite as legible as Minion. I called it "Bodoni Light", so I can use it in Dorico.

ITC Century Book Condensed is still a favourite for very tight scores, but it's a little too squished. Can't believe after looking through the entire Monotype library, I can't find a font that fits!
Marc Larcher

Post by Marc Larcher »

Hi ! Sorry to revive this thread, I was looking for a better font (if there is) for lyrics than the one I've been using for years : Linux Libertine O. I've tried those listed here that I had never used and… I'll stick to Linux Libertine O. Have you ever tried it? I find it's extremely legible, elegant, and is narrow enought (without seeming narrow).