My Accidental Glyphs

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
erelievonen

Re: My Accidental Glyphs

Post by erelievonen »

Fluffeh wrote:
erelievonen wrote:The new 3/4-sharp is now less wide, but its internal proportions seem a bit strange. When I look closely, it looks like the distance between the left extremity of the glyph and the left edge of the first vertical line in the 3/4-sharp is greater than the corresponding distance in the regular sharp (and similarly on the left sides of the glyphs). This is odd; one would expect that distance in the 3/4-sharp to be the same or less compared to that in the regular sharp. I'm not sure exactly what the best proportions are. Maybe, keep this width but make the 3 vertical lines less close to each other, to satisfy the above-mentioned requirement?
I suspect this may be due to an optical illusion where if the rounding "opens" instead of "closes" their perpendicular edges, the area enclosed is greater and thus the height appears bigger than it actually is, if you can understand that. I will make amendments as soon as I get my font repaired... ;)
I'm afraid I don't understand any of your reply. Are we talking about the same thing? I was talking about the 3/4-sharp sign...
Fluffeh

Post by Fluffeh »

erelievonen wrote:I'm afraid I don't understand any of your reply. Are we talking about the same thing? I was talking about the 3/4-sharp sign...
Here is a diagram illustrating what I mean.
Though the height of each "container" is the same, the one on the top encompasses a greater area than the one on the bottom due to the corners "opening" instead of "closing", and thus it may be perceived that the distances are unequal. It's somewhat similar to the Müller-Lyer illusion, though it appears to be less potent.
erelievonen

Post by erelievonen »

We're not talking about the same thing. I was talking about this distance
Näyttökuva 2016-7-30 kello 1.17.55.png
Näyttökuva 2016-7-30 kello 1.17.55.png (15.31 KiB) Viewed 7141 times
being shorter in the regular sharp and longer in the 3/4-sharp, a fact that seems illogical and aesthetically unmotivated to me.
Knut

Post by Knut »

Fluffeh wrote: Your accidentals are very nice too! :)
Thanks!
Fluffeh wrote:A note on the three-quarter-tone sharp (which I've found out can be shortened to sesquisharp, from sesqui- (Latin prefix for "one-and-a-half") + sharp): as the horizontal bar is slanted at the same angle as the others, the top-left and bottom-right hover just below and above the staff line, creating a wedge that could be potentially undesirable, especially considering the conventions around avoiding such wedges with beams. This is one of the reasons I opted for variable horizontal beam slants.
I think those wedges are too small to be of any importance on screen, and they won't even show in print. The variable slants on the different sharps seem much more disruptive to me, but I'd be curious to hear what others think.

There are a couple of ways to make the wedges even less noticeable, though, and come to think of it, making the shape slightly narrower in combination with a slight flattening of the slanted strokes is probably the best solution.
Fluffeh wrote:I also find it quite interesting to see your take on the double sharp — this must be at least the seventh unique design I've seen so far! Whilst some people consider the treble clef the distinguishing mark of a font, perhaps it should actually be the double sharp. It could do with a slight weight increase though, as it seems a tad light next to the other accidentals.
I agree with tisimst that the double sharp is too obscure and too simple of a design too be considered the signature symbol of a music font.
I'm inclined to agree that my double sharp is perhaps a bit too slight, though. Thanks for pointing this out.
erelievonen

Post by erelievonen »

Knut wrote:The variable slants on the different sharps seem much more disruptive to me, but I'd be curious to hear what others think.
I actually like the variable slants. They may also help distinguishing the different sharps from each other.