Muzitex - for music text

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
OCTO

Re: Muzitex - for music text

Post by OCTO »

Kepler is indeed one of the nicest on the sample you provided. Kepler and Utopia.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Hello. Here is the version 2:
repository
I changed some spacing.
Please, swap it with the old one, and try to print.
Best, O
Screen shot 2015-10-15 at 12.38.43 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-15 at 12.38.43 PM.png (58.28 KiB) Viewed 11719 times
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

Here are some more fonts I've seen in use or have used myself. I used to use New Century Schoolbook a lot because of it's relative heaviness, but I don't like the italic that much. Now I usually use Minion like everyone else. ;)

Palatino is the font used both for body text and the examples in Elaine Gould's book.
Plantin is a font included with Sibelius that I think is nice.
Times Ten is a slightly heavier version of Times, intended for small (caption) text.
Text font preview.png
Text font preview.png (398.14 KiB) Viewed 11716 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

In my opinion Plantin is to wide, for my music it is ineffective. Particularly it is true for the Roman version.

Regarding Muzitex: I have printed (hi-q print by Peters/Boosey/Schott printer) my orchestral score (with many details, small texts, instructions etc), and it displays really excellent. It is definitely my font for full scores, and parts.
Maybe I will have another font for choral music. But perhaps I would not use it for lyrics.
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:In my opinion Plantin is to wide, for my music it is ineffective. Particularly it is true for the Roman version.
There is a condensed version available as well, although it's not included with Sibelius.
odod

Post by odod »

OCTO wrote:I have been searching for a "perfect" (well, in my opinion) text font for expressions and articulation, for many years.
I used so far: Times (and NR), Garamond, Minion, Caslon etc... Nothing was satisfying. Either to bold, or not enough visible, or to curved, or to wide...

I have created a font called Muzitex only for text in music notation.
What is the difference?
As you can see, Normal (here FreeSerif "Times"-looking font) is to thin in my opinion. It doesn't catch so much attention. On the contrary, Bold version of it is to much bold (serfs are to much bold).
Therefore I have equally emboldened Normal for that purpose.
It displays excellent when printing. Please test and let me know what you think.
Screen shot 2015-10-12 at 3.16.39 PM.png
It is a GPL-font. Embedding in PDF allowed. License included. Muzitex is derivative from FreeFont. https://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/
what is the music font that you used sir ? i am so fascinated with the G clef style .. best regards
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

It is a font designed by our forum member Wess. You might try contacting him.
Best, O
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Wess's alternative Henle-style treble clef (slot 128) is contained in his VintageGHMA. I think that it is an excellent alternative to the Maestro treble clef.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Help needed again.
My copyist tells me that on his Windows machine my Muzitex font doesn't work at all. Can anyone help me to generate a proper variant for Windows?
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

OCTO wrote:Help needed again.
My copyist tells me that on his Windows machine my Muzitex font doesn't work at all. Can anyone help me to generate a proper variant for Windows?
It doesn't work *at all*? Can they see anything when they try to open it in charmap? Can they see anything at all in a word processor? Which app are they trying to use it in?

I'm happy to help you out if I can understand the problem more. Looking at the 2.0 files in the NOTATIO repository, I can already see some things that might be undesirable, but I've not had this extreme of a problem with OTF nor TTF files I've created.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge